+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Option C vs Standard Notice of Assessment

garoth

Oct 25, 2011
Hello there

Had another question - hoping someone has experience with this. I'll state my situation again: I'm a Canadian citizen that went to the UK to study for the last approximately 3 years. Met someone here and am in a common-law relationship. I am trying to sponsor her for our return to Canada next year. I am taking the 'common-law sponsor from outside Canada' route.

I've gotten a bit mixed up and thought I had all my documents in order, but I've recently found out that I need an original "Option C" notice of assessment, rather than just the regular notice of assessment. I've requested my Option C, but it of course has to be mailed to my address on file, which is in Canada. I expect it would probably be 10-15 business days at the earliest before I can get this Option C form, including sending to my address in Canada, then waiting to have it forwarded to me here in the UK.

We're already much later than we wanted to be with our application, so I'm wondering if it would be an option to send my standard notice of assessment, along with a printout of my tax return. I've read hints elsewhere on this forum that people have done this with success, but I thought I'd ask again. If I understand correctly, this is just to ensure that I have been earning some money in the recent years. That's fair enough, but the other issue is that I am of course a student, receiving mostly non-taxable income in bursary form - so only my taxable income (from miscellaneous teaching jobs, etc here in the UK) is listed on my tax return, and it is a relatively small amount compared to my bursary. I would think it would be more useful to give them my bursary payslips, and perhaps a letter from my University stating my bursary amount.

I feel quite bad at the moment, as my partner has prepared all her documents over the past months - we were hoping to send it off and celebrate this weekend. I thought I had everything in order, but then noticed that it was a different notice of assessment requested. We'd really just like to get it sent out. I would expect that if CIC absolutely must have the Option C version, that I could send it.

So what do you think, folks? Anyone do something similar? I realize it seems silly not to just wait for it, but as I mentioned we're already very far behind with our application due to all the supporting documents my partner had to get.

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
You need to send the Option C printout.

People who have not sent it, are generally those who have not filed a Canadian Tax return and simply do not have an Option C printout.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you had been a non resident of Canada, you might have only Standard Notice of Assessment. Revenue Canada don't print Option C for some non residents.

kuku

Jul 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/08/2011
Doc's Request.
None so far
AOR Received.
NEVER
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
20/10/2011
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
5/07/2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
24/11/2011 ( E CAS changed to "In process' on 5/2/2012.
VISA ISSUED...
12/02/2012
LANDED..........
10/03/2012
@garoth

You will not get option C if you did not file taxes in Canada. You should and must attach option C if you filed taxes. It is better to wait for 2-3 weeks more for option C rather than having to delaying it later in case the application package will be returned as an incomplete. That will give you more stress and delay.

If you did not file taxes then you should not worry. Just explain in a separate sheet of paper that you have not been living in Canada and have no residential ties, so you have not filed taxes. Also attach your proof of income from UK or your student loan/Study permit/letter from the school as an evidence.

pandapenda

Sep 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-08-2011
Doc's Request.
17-02-2012
File Transfer...
07-11-2011
Interview........
None - 2 years of travel history
Passport Req..
8-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-14-2012
i have a friend whose lawyer said Option C is not needed for Family Class sponsorship....hmm given that each day you delay filing your paper work you risk longer processing times, I would go ahead and file it with my NOA and T4 slip or previous pay stubs. The only difference between an NOA and Option C printout is that Option C prinout separates employment income from other sources such as investments. So as long as you can support your employment income figure I think you should be fine :) In the meantime I would still go ahead and ask CRA to send me Option C printout incase they end up requesting it - you can just send it in on the double :p

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
I was successfully approved as a sponsor and I did not send any tax information from the most recent tax year. I am also a student, so my income was very low and I was unemployed at the time. I provided an Option C from the previous year, along with bank statement and a couple of pay stubs and proof that I had applied for a part-time job as well as a short letter from my parents saying that my partner and I could live with them until we get on our feet.

Basically you just have to show that you have some manner of supporting yourself (a job/savings/living with relatives) without resorting to government assistance. I would also include a note of why you are not producing an Option C, otherwise they might think you omitted it by accident.

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I requested my last year notice of assessment option C. CRA agent told me it is the same like the usual notice of assessment you receive every year. If it takes time I will send my notice of assessment of last year (once I find it). I think I will receive option C soon. Normally it takes maximum 2 weeks to get their mail.
I was waiting for their re-assessment so I can clear everything and show there is no debit on my tax account. I ended up paying the debit till they assess the file.

koala18

Star Member
Jan 16, 2012
sidkrose said:
I was successfully approved as a sponsor and I did not send any tax information from the most recent tax year. I am also a student, so my income was very low and I was unemployed at the time. I provided an Option C from the previous year, along with bank statement and a couple of pay stubs and proof that I had applied for a part-time job as well as a short letter from my parents saying that my partner and I could live with them until we get on our feet.

Basically you just have to show that you have some manner of supporting yourself (a job/savings/living with relatives) without resorting to government assistance. I would also include a note of why you are not producing an Option C, otherwise they might think you omitted it by accident.
Hi sidkrose, so in the application form, you did not put anything in the total income for 12 months? Is is ok if the sponsor has just started work in Canada since he went to Australia for 6 months after his graduation. He worked part time but that was in high school. We can probably also submit an explanation why income is not for 12 months and a letter from his parents.

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
koala18 said:
Hi sidkrose, so in the application form, you did not put anything in the total income for 12 months? Is is ok if the sponsor has just started work in Canada since he went to Australia for 6 months after his graduation. He worked part time but that was in high school. We can probably also submit an explanation why income is not for 12 months and a letter from his parents.
I actually did put a small sum in the "income for 12 months" section because I had received a small inheritance. But yes, it is ok that he just started working, or even if he is unemployed (I was unemployed). A letter from his parents stating they will help you out when you get there would be good, and any evidence of savings. Basically you just have to show that you have a plan for supporting yourself. They won't fault the sponsor for not having much of an income though.

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please find more info here;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf