+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders

Majo_2020

Nov 17, 2022
Hello

hello how did you get the hard copy? I have been waiting for hard copy for 2 months. I got approval letter in June 9, called the Ircc in July 24 and they said they will reprint and send it. However haven’t received anything now. I am so worried
Hi, I got the hard copy a on Tuesday this week. I think its been sitting on our concierge desk for 2 days already not to mail - which is weird. But I got the hard copy, you should get yours very shortly.

anh.ntt2811

Jul 28, 2023
Hi, I got the hard copy a on Tuesday this week. I think its been sitting on our concierge desk for 2 days already not to mail - which is weird. But I got the hard copy, you should get yours very shortly.
But how long had you wait since approval letter?

approvalplease

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
You may be eligible to get a one-time extension to your existing open work permit if you both

• live in Canada
  • have an open work permit that expires between August 1, 2023, and December 31, 2023
This extended open work permit allows you to work in Canada for an additional 18 months, from the date your current work permit expires, if you’ve been invited to opt in through a streamlined and simplified process.

To find out how to get your open work permit, answer the question below.

Did you get an email from IRCC inviting you to opt in to a simplified process to extend your valid open work permit? (required)
The heading on the email is “2023 Special Facilitation Measure: Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders”.
Make your selection..

I selected because I didn’t receive the opt in letter but my SOWP expire in November 2023:: No

It says the following

You must follow the regular process to extend or change your work permit
If we didn’t invite you to opt in to the simplified process, you must apply to extend or change the conditions on your work permit.

So I applied through the regular work permit extension but I am uncertain if I will still Get my 18 month extension. I called ircc and they don’t know anything more than the document that I just shared above. I am lost tbh.

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
You may be eligible to get a one-time extension to your existing open work permit if you both

• live in Canada
  • have an open work permit that expires between August 1, 2023, and December 31, 2023
This extended open work permit allows you to work in Canada for an additional 18 months, from the date your current work permit expires, if you’ve been invited to opt in through a streamlined and simplified process.

To find out how to get your open work permit, answer the question below.

Did you get an email from IRCC inviting you to opt in to a simplified process to extend your valid open work permit? (required)
The heading on the email is “2023 Special Facilitation Measure: Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders”.
Make your selection..

I selected because I didn’t receive the opt in letter but my SOWP expire in November 2023:: No

It says the following

You must follow the regular process to extend or change your work permit
If we didn’t invite you to opt in to the simplified process, you must apply to extend or change the conditions on your work permit.

So I applied through the regular work permit extension but I am uncertain if I will still Get my 18 month extension. I called ircc and they don’t know anything more than the document that I just shared above. I am lost tbh.
I received email for my wife; she has an spousal open WP expiring in October 2023. She has received a new work permit now expiring in 2025

Alex2024

Jul 31, 2023
my spouse application has been approved and received correspondent letter but it has been a month and have not received the Work permit in the mailbox can someone advise please?

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
my spouse application has been approved and received correspondent letter but it has been a month and have not received the Work permit in the mailbox can someone advise please?
I am assuming that you are staying at the same address on your correspondence letter from IRCC. The best thing to do is call IRCC at about 8 AM (because thats the only time calls go through) and/or raise a webform.

whyirccsoslow

Sep 17, 2023
My wife was recently approved (on 25th July) for an 18-month work permit extension under the new opt-in policy. Like everyone else, her document status was updated with the new document entry. However, we didn't receive the physical copy in mail despite making sure the address was right (by calling IRCC). We also didn't receive any in-Canada approval letter.

We called IRCC on September 6th to resend the document, the agent put a request in. Since then, our document status and final decision message have disappeared again. Anyone else faced the same issue? Should we be concerned?

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
My wife was recently approved (on 25th July) for an 18-month work permit extension under the new opt-in policy. Like everyone else, her document status was updated with the new document entry. However, we didn't receive the physical copy in mail despite making sure the address was right (by calling IRCC). We also didn't receive any in-Canada approval letter.

We called IRCC on September 6th to resend the document, the agent put a request in. Since then, our document status and final decision message have disappeared again. Anyone else faced the same issue? Should we be concerned?
Its very frustrating when they do these kind of inconsistent activities. I can understand your pain. I think since you called on Sep 6th, they are probably re-visiting the application and re-issuing the visa and hence it dissapeared from the GCKey. Did you take a screenshot of the updated record before it dissapeared ? If not, thats fine. You would need to wait for some more time before it re-appears in GCKey or I would use the mail that was received by your spouse and raise a webform once again.

whyirccsoslow

Sep 17, 2023
Its very frustrating when they do these kind of inconsistent activities. I can understand your pain. I think since you called on Sep 6th, they are probably re-visiting the application and re-issuing the visa and hence it dissapeared from the GCKey. Did you take a screenshot of the updated record before it dissapeared ? If not, thats fine. You would need to wait for some more time before it re-appears in GCKey or I would use the mail that was received by your spouse and raise a webform once again.
Yeah, I want to believe they are re-issuing the visa too. Hope they figure it out in a reasonable amount of time.

Yeah, I took a screenshot of the entire webpage when it was approved. Unfortunately, our current situation means we cannot update her SIN, or get her OHIP card. She was in the middle of changing jobs when this happened, and her offer has been rescinded due to not being able to provide an actual permit scan. And we know nobody will take accountability for that.

whyirccsoslow

Sep 17, 2023
Just wanted to update on our situation for any future readers.

We kept calling IRCC every week since September 6th. Every week the different customer support agents told us they were "flagging" our application for visa officer's immediate attention, we should just wait and the application is just waiting for mailing, etc. Eventually, on October 3rd, we called IRCC and a customer support agent listened to the details, we mentioned how the "mailing time" had gone way beyond 2 months and how we had been calling every week. He then told us he was passing our case to a separate department for emergency processing. He asked us whether we were in Canada. He then said he asked the emergency processing department to send us the permit as early as possible.

We had called IRCC on October 3rd around 11.00PM. Around 2PM, we got an email from IRCC with an attached Biometric Letter. The letter had a completely new work permit application number. On October 5th, we received another email from IRCC with the in-Canada approval letter. We received the physical work permit copy on October 11th.

Our original application where we "opt-in" is still unchanged. We are trying to link the new application number to our account without any success.

LartLM

Star Member
Dec 8, 2021
Hello, can someone please advise me on what to do?
So my husband has an open work permit which is valid till November 30th 2023. On June 22, 2023, we submitted a new work permit extension application under the new OWP extension public policy as he could not link his application to the GCkey to receive the automatic opt in option. From all indications he qualifies for this new policy even as a spouse of an international student. However on October 20th yesterday, we received refusal stating that he was refused based on the fact that his wife does not have a valid job in NOc O,A,B. This application was not submitted based on spouse work conditions but on the new policy that was announced in June this year.

We provided this information as a supporting document and explained clearly to the officer but still received a refusal. What can we do now? Can we re-apply because the policy is still active till December 2023. Please help with any advice or suggestions.