+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders

Majo_2020

Nov 17, 2022
I received the permit today in my mailbox, I wish everyone a lot of success and have a great time
Hi, did you get letter of introduction before you get hard copy of work permit to your mailbox?
I got LOI since July 21 that work permit extended to July, 2025.However, I haven't receive my hardcopy of work permit to my mailbox. Is there anyone on same situation line me?

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
BREAKING NEWS: I am just returning from CBSA port.

According to visa officer, this policy is yet not clear from IRCC and officers have no knowledge whether extended work permit holders are still spousal or not. As a result, the main applicant at the moment cannot apply for an open work permit based on their spouses

IMPORTANT: according to visa officer, if IRCC did not provide clarifications soon, then despite 18 months extension, everyone (principle and spouse) must leave CANADA before the EXPIRY of PRINCLE APPLICANT's Work/Study permit

approvalplease

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023

According to visa officer, this policy is yet not clear from IRCC and officers have no knowledge whether extended work permit holders are still spousal or not. As a result, the main applicant at the moment cannot apply for an open work permit based on their spouses

IMPORTANT: according to visa officer, if IRCC did not provide clarifications soon, then despite 18 months extension, everyone (principle and spouse) must leave CANADA before the EXPIRY of PRINCLE APPLICANT's Work/Study permit
Question. Did you already received your email from opt in? If so, why on earth would you have to leave if you have extension… should it not just be your spouse?

sj1023

Jul 10, 2023

Thanks for the update.

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Question. Did you already received your email from opt in? If so, why on earth would you have to leave if you have extension… should it not just be your spouse?
Should we wait for official confirmation from IRCC on this ?
Besides us, visa officers are also waiting. She said she will write to IRCC to get more information. She even did not know how my wife got extension for 18 months despite main applicant WP is expiring in few months. I showed her Opt-in email that my wife received.

I dont know how IRCC can announce new policies without training their staff first

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
I am pretty sure there is a serious confusion on this issue. I asked visa officer that because my wife's WP clearly has expiry date untill April 2025. Now if she is renewing her SIN number, for sure they will trust the official WP document and extend SIN untill April 2025. She laughed and replied " I cannot say anything".

My second was what about those whos main applicant' WP/SP has expired and theu already left Canada. Based on your assumptions, those who are still living here without the main applicant are illigal? are they overstaying ? She just laughed... And said "no comments"

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP

Very Interesting finding. Thank you for your efforts in going upto flag poll and finding all this out. My own 2 pennies on this is that they are an org that often does not know what their left or right hand are doing at the same time. There could be an element of confusion with regard to the interpretation of SOWP extension rules because in the public policy no where it was mentioned about the condition that you discovered , that "as long as principal applicant's WP is valid".

For the moment since IRCC has issued the SOWP extension to spouses, we are all good for the moment is what I surmise from all this. The principal is the only one who should worry at this moment in time and figure out ways for extension. Either through BOWP or through some other means.

anh.ntt2811

Jul 28, 2023
Hello
Congrats to those who are getting approvals this week. Have you received the "Correspondence Letter" as well ? So you should get a letter in GCKey , but the contents of those are very confusing as it states that you need to bring documents with you for IRCC to grant you the extended permit. The point is that all of us are inland applicants, so whats this all about ? I thought that they were supposed to send the WP by postal mail to you address.
I got approval last week on June 19th (wednesday), but its already 1 week now and I still havent got the hard copy to my address yet. Wondering if there is something that needs to be done ............
hello how did you get the hard copy? I have been waiting for hard copy for 2 months. I got approval letter in June 9, called the Ircc in July 24 and they said they will reprint and send it. However haven’t received anything now. I am so worried

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Very Interesting finding. Thank you for your efforts in going upto flag poll and finding all this out. My own 2 pennies on this is that they are an org that often does not know what their left or right hand are doing at the same time. There could be an element of confusion with regard to the interpretation of SOWP extension rules because in the public policy no where it was mentioned about the condition that you discovered , that "as long as principal applicant's WP is valid".

For the moment since IRCC has issued the SOWP extension to spouses, we are all good for the moment is what I surmise from all this. The principal is the only one who should worry at this moment in time and figure out ways for extension. Either through BOWP or through some other means.
Most funny thing was that a visa officer kept insisting me that I should call IRCC to get my answers. I replied that if you cannot answer me then why should I spend 1 hour to call, wait and then talk to someone who might have same or less knowledge then you.

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Hello

hello how did you get the hard copy? I have been waiting for hard copy for 2 months. I got approval letter in June 9, called the Ircc in July 24 and they said they will reprint and send it. However haven’t received anything now. I am so worried
There is nothing much that can be done except to call again or raise a webform. Perhaps the address on your gckey profile is not where you are staying ? Did you check that ?