+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Congrats to those who are getting approvals this week. Have you received the "Correspondence Letter" as well ? So you should get a letter in GCKey , but the contents of those are very confusing as it states that you need to bring documents with you for IRCC to grant you the extended permit. The point is that all of us are inland applicants, so whats this all about ? I thought that they were supposed to send the WP by postal mail to you address.
I got approval last week on June 19th (wednesday), but its already 1 week now and I still havent got the hard copy to my address yet. Wondering if there is something that needs to be done ............

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Congrats to those who are getting approvals this week. Have you received the "Correspondence Letter" as well ? So you should get a letter in GCKey , but the contents of those are very confusing as it states that you need to bring documents with you for IRCC to grant you the extended permit. The point is that all of us are inland applicants, so whats this all about ? I thought that they were supposed to send the WP by postal mail to you address.
I got approval last week on June 19th (wednesday), but its already 1 week now and I still havent got the hard copy to my address yet. Wondering if there is something that needs to be done ............
As said by IRCC if your application is approved and you didn't get the hard copy then you can raise the webform. In your case wait for a few days for the hard copy else raise the webform.

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Ok, Good news folks, I just received the hard copy of the new extended WP by post. There ends the struggle for the time being :). No remarks or observations either and valid till July 2025.

All the best for all your applications and wish you all success.

approvalplease

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
Is there anyone who is here who is eligible for the 18 month extension but did not receive the opt-in. If so, did you apply through the regular process and what was the result?

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Ok, Good news folks, I just received the hard copy of the new extended WP by post. There ends the struggle for the time being :). No remarks or observations either and valid till July 2025.

All the best for all your applications and wish you all success.
The next thing most people are now interested in knowing is whether the spouses of 18 months extension holder can apply for an open work permit or not :)

Hchopra218

Jul 18, 2023
Is there anyone who is here who is eligible for the 18 month extension but did not receive the opt-in. If so, did you apply through the regular process and what was the result?
I am still waiting for the response. I have just opt-in through regular process, applied june14. No response yet.

When did you apply?
anyone else out there waiting??

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
The next thing most people are now interested in knowing is whether the spouses of 18 months extension holder can apply for an open work permit or not :)
My understanding of the rules are as follows (again, disclaimer, I am not a expert/lawyer, but this is from experience).

If the Opt-in was provided for the Primary applicant (not the spouse), then the primary applicant upon receiving the extended WP can then apply for either a new OWP for their Spouse, or extend their Spouse's OWP to the same end date as the primary applicant's newly extended WP.

If the Opt-in was provided for the Spouse's Open Work permit (SOWP), then that extension validity is only for the spouse. This is because the conditions under which the initial permit were granted was that there was a primary applicant who sponsored the spouse application , and this primary applicant held either a SP, WP or CWP before arriving to Canada. If you make a fresh application, most likely the office will note that you were the primary applicant even though you will be filing your application as a dependent. While there are no links I could find, I really think the whole undertaking is risky and stands a chance of being rejected. But if nothing else is happening and you are forced to go into "Visitor" mode, might as well as give it a try.

Reactions: rcincanada2019