+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
I checked my GCkey and it shows in progress. Previously it showed "final decision made" with document status which was my old application.
But currently, the same application shows in progress and the document (Work permit & Counterfoil )status disappeared.

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Yes I too called IRCC today and got same response
Our PR is on the pool for more than 1.5 years with CRS of 485 ,my spouse is on closed wp which is expiring this September.We were not able to get ITA in spite of having NOC code on STEM category
I have got extension till March 2025 , I explained all of this to IRCC agent and they just put me on hold for 20 mins and then gave a response saying my spouse is not eligible for owp based on my 18 months extension..
You can do one thing as you got the work permit hard copy.
Go to the border with a new work permit, salary slip, job duties, and offer letter on the basis of this ask officer if your spouse can do flag-polling. By this may be your spouse also get a work permit till 2025

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Hi I just got the update permit on the portal. Applied June 8th.
this happened with you?

"
I checked my GCkey and it shows in progress. Previously it showed "final decision made" with document status which was my old application.
But currently, the same application shows in progress and the document (Work permit & Counterfoil )status disappeared.
"

hcueva10

Feb 10, 2019
I see both permits and the old one shows invalid. Didn't get any notification and last time I checked nothing had changed.

CugTr

Jul 21, 2023
I see both permits and the old one shows invalid. Didn't get any notification and last time I checked nothing had changed.
Congrats!

How do you check the status of the work permit from GC Account ? I checked my latest and approved one but do not see those kind of status.

approvalplease

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
Our PR is on the pool for more than 1.5 years with CRS of 485 ,my spouse is on closed wp which is expiring this September.We were not able to get ITA in spite of having NOC code on STEM category
I have got extension till March 2025 , I explained all of this to IRCC agent and they just put me on hold for 20 mins and then gave a response saying my spouse is not eligible for owp based on my 18 months extension..
So what do you plan on doing? Learn French?

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
You can do one thing as you got the work permit hard copy.
Go to the border with a new work permit, salary slip, job duties, and offer letter on the basis of this ask officer if your spouse can do flag-polling. By this may be your spouse also get a work permit till 2025
Do you know if someone has got OWP through this method?

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Since you have enough time now, you might ask your emloyer to get you a closed WP for you. It will certainely take sometime for processing of LMIA etc. however once successful, then eventually your spouse will be eligible for OWP.

I am also planning the same thing for us but my spouse works for a TEER 5 low wage job. Currently spouses under this category are not eligible for OWP. They might open this policy very soon

intelligent_k

Jun 23, 2023
Just got an update finally! The "Document Status" section was absolutely missing for almost a week, I couldn't see my old permit and visa at all. Now the section is back showing the old document as invalid and the new one till 2025.
Wishing everyone a successful permit renewal!!

Reactions: andrews17

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Just got an update finally! The "Document Status" section was absolutely missing for almost a week, I couldn't see my old permit and visa at all. Now the section is back showing the old document as invalid and the new one till 2025.
Wishing everyone a successful permit renewal!!
In the same boat. Hopefully, I'll also receive the update soon.

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
So now as we will get a new work permit what about the TRV? Do we need to apply new TRV or use the old one for travel purposes?
Currently, TRV (W-1) is valid till 30th Nov 2023. Do we need to apply for a new TRV on the basis of this update work permit?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
So now as we will get a new work permit what about the TRV? Do we need to apply new TRV or use the old one for travel purposes?
Currently, TRV (W-1) is valid till 30th Nov 2023. Do we need to apply for a new TRV on the basis of this update work permit?
Your TRV should still be valid until November. You can apply to a new one whenever you get your new WP.

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada