+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
The agent who answered just asked me to check ircc portal for checking the eligibility....I waited for 1 hour to talk and disappointed by this response..
Agents should know that there is no information available at IRCC portal specific to those applicants who benefited from public or special policies.

As of now, I even don't know whether my wife's has a status of a worker or a spouse of a worker. I have requested GCSM note to see any evidence.

In case of a non-spousal open WP for my wife, I am eligible to apply a open WP according to following link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/public-policy-competitiveness-economy/c47-c48.html#principal-foreign-national-1

Last edited:

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
The agent who answered just asked me to check ircc portal for checking the eligibility....I waited for 1 hour to talk and disappointed by this response..
I also called agent today. She spent 10-15 minutes to get my question first and then put me on hold for another 10 minutes (not sure if she discussed it with her boss or googled to answer me).

At the end, she said "I think you are not eligible to apply for an open work permit based on open work permit of your wife"

approvalplease

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
So officer at the border didn’t know about it either. I find ircc’s approach to it so strange. I told him to look for 2023 special facilitation measure for valid open work permit holders. He said maybe it’s something ircc has access to directly but not those at the border.

• Haha
Reactions: powereng1982

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
So officer at the border didn’t know about it either. I find ircc’s approach to it so strange. I told him to look for 2023 special facilitation measure for valid open work permit holders. He said maybe it’s something ircc has access to directly but not those at the border.
Alternatively, we can conclude that Govt of Canada does not want the families to stay united :)

Hchopra218

Jul 18, 2023
There has been an update in my friend's GC key Account. Under the documents status, " Your document is valid". That disappears leaving blank. No such columns from the previous work permit can be seen now. Does anyone have this kind of situation?

Jul 10, 2023
I also called agent today. She spent 10-15 minutes to get my question first and then put me on hold for another 10 minutes (not sure if she discussed it with her boss or googled to answer me).

At the end, she said "I think you are not eligible to apply for an open work permit based on open work permit of your wife"
Yes I too called IRCC today and got same response
Our PR is on the pool for more than 1.5 years with CRS of 485 ,my spouse is on closed wp which is expiring this September.We were not able to get ITA in spite of having NOC code on STEM category
I have got extension till March 2025 , I explained all of this to IRCC agent and they just put me on hold for 20 mins and then gave a response saying my spouse is not eligible for owp based on my 18 months extension..

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
There has been an update in my friend's GC key Account. Under the documents status, " Your document is valid". That disappears leaving blank. No such columns from the previous work permit can be seen now. Does anyone have this kind of situation?
I just checked my gc key and this exactly happened with me.