Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
As you mentioned, your wife did studies and considering you were on dependent visa (SOWP). So, in that case your wife institute should be in the DLI list for the PGWP. If not, her only chance would be get a work permit from any employer. As you are dependent, so she can’t be dependent on dependent. I hope this cleara your point. Not an expert, just trying to help you out.
Same sentiments here. There is another thread with the same topic:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spouse-of-open-work-permit-holders.814722/

IMHO, this case is a paradox. You got the SOWP based from your wife's SP. Without your wife's SP, you are not qualified for SOWP. But you got an extension based on a new temporary policy. Sort of like how would you travel back in time if you did travel in time to destroy the time machine before your time travel even happens (not entirely the same but you get the idea).

I am not a lawyer, nor a licensed immigration consultant. Am just curious about cases like this. I think, you can argue that since you were given an extension without asking for it, then that makes you the new PA now? Or it may be just a matter of time before IRCC realizes that there was widespread mistake on issuing those opt-in extensions without laying down the requirements first (just my thoughts).

Again, I am not a lawyer and this is just an opinion.

approvalplease

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
I think to determine the answer to this we would need to see the notes annotated to the bottom of the OWP granted due to the 18 month public policy. The typical SOWP has, "accompanying spouse on SP valid to same date." If the 18 month extension does not include that text under observations it is a possibility that it is treated like a stand alone OWP which may make being the Principal applicant possible. Can anyone who has received their opt-in permits state what was under the remarks/ observations section of it?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
I think to determine the answer to this we would need to see the notes annotated to the bottom of the OWP granted due to the 18 month public policy. The typical SOWP has, "accompanying spouse on SP valid to same date." If the 18 month extension does not include that text under observations it is a possibility that it is treated like a stand alone OWP which may make being the Principal applicant possible. Can anyone who has received their opt-in permits state what was under the remarks/ observations section of it?
But then, it wouldn’t be an extension anymore. For how can you extend if it is no longer an SOWP but a new OWP? So, effectively, you got a spanking brand new OWP for 18 months.

Again, just my thoughts as a “devil’s advocate”. Good luck to your case.

charsqc2023

Jul 24, 2023
Congratulations to everyone who received their OWP extension via opt-in!

I did the opt-in on June 08 for my wife. She's with SOWP and I Study permit, both valid until November 2023.

So far we have not received any emails, and there is no change in the GCKey account either.

We are desperate and anxious, but I wanted to know if there is anyone else in this situation who has not received ANY notification, change in their GCKey account or email until now?

Canadacomb

Jul 19, 2023
Congratulations to everyone who received their OWP extension via opt-in!

I did the opt-in on June 08 for my wife. She's with SOWP and I Study permit, both valid until November 2023.

So far we have not received any emails, and there is no change in the GCKey account either.

We are desperate and anxious, but I wanted to know if there is anyone else in this situation who has not received ANY notification, change in their GCKey account or email until now?
We are in the same desperate situation, we applied more than a month ago and nothing is still waiting
this is the last week and it's exhausting

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Congratulations! What was the text in the remark and observation section?
Congratulations! What was the text in the remark and observation section?

My wife received her OWP letter today and under the remarks/ observations section, it is empty. In her last SOWP, there was a note "accompanying spouse on WP valid to same date"

Did anyone call IRCC to know if spouses of OWP holders that were extended under opt-in program are eligible for OWP too?

Jul 10, 2023
My wife received her OWP letter today and under the remarks/ observations section, it is empty. In her last SOWP, there was a note "accompanying spouse on WP valid to same date"

Did anyone call IRCC to know if spouses of OWP holders that were extended under opt-in program are eligible for OWP too?
I am on the same situation..my spouse is on closed wp which expires in September and I recd 18 months extension valid till March 2025 under this program ..I called IRCC to check if my spouse can apply for extension and they did not give any clear response and routed me to check on ircc portal for the same

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
I am on the same situation..my spouse is on closed wp which expires in September and I recd 18 months extension valid till March 2025 under this program ..I called IRCC to check if my spouse can apply for extension and they did not give any clear response and routed me to check on ircc portal for the same
What exactly they said? I am also planning to call IRCC tomorrow. My closed WP is expiring in October and wife has OWP until april 2025

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
I am going to flagpole for my 18 month extension tomorrow and plan to ask about my wife. Will update accordingly.
In addition to your wife, please ask officer by making question very generic if possible. i.e Can a main applicant with a closed permit (that is expiring soon) be eligibile to apply for a open work permit after spouse's open work permit has been extended for 18 months

Reactions: Openworkpermit23