+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
So something weird happened today

1. I'm on PGWP, got the opt-in email in April but didn't submit it because my passport was expiring soon.
2. My wife on SOWP got the opt-in email June. She submitted the application but got her new work permit with the same expiration date as the old one (Sept 2023). We assumed this was because my PGWP was still expiring in September and I had not submitted yet my extension application.
3. I renewed my passport and we sent the application to extend both our PGWP and SOWP on July (we paid $255 each).
4. Today, my wife got an update on her application (the opt-in one) saying her work permit was extended until March 2025.

No idea why did this happen. It's great that she got the extension, but I guess that means they could have approved it earlier and save us $255. I'm also intrigued on what's going to happen when they process her extension application, the one sent in July, if her work permit was already extended. Should I send a webform?
Is it IRCC processed your wife's opt-in request twice? With first one request, IRCC issued Wp valid until september and with second WP until march 2025

When did you received first WP that was valid until september?

What is status of her spousal WP application that you applied along with your PGWP?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Is it IRCC processed your wife's opt-in request twice? With first one request, IRCC issued Wp valid until september and with second WP until march 2025

When did you received first WP that was valid until september?

What is status of her spousal WP application that you applied along with your PGWP?
Her SOWP was expiring in September 2023 (as my PGWP). She received the opt-in email early June from her GCkey account. She submitted the application and a week later she received the approval with the same expiration date as the old WP, Sep 2023. She even received the new WP in the mail.

I applied for my PGWP extension along with her SOWP extension using my GCKey account in early July. I received both WP-EXT letters and it's still being processed (might take a couple of months).

Today, July 21st, she received a notification on her GCKey account stating that the work permit they sent last month was now invalid and a new work permit was issued, expiring in March 2025.

Reactions: powereng1982

Canadacomb

Jul 19, 2023
I received email on 7 june that I am eligible for opt-in and applied on the same day.

On 14 July, my gckey status changed to "we are reviewing you application" and approved on 17 July
That message was the one that I appreciated when I completed the application:
Congratulations! You have successfully opted-in for an open work permit extension. You will not receive an e-mail confirmation and no further action is required from you at this time.
You received the same ??

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
That message was the one that I appreciated when I completed the application:
Congratulations! You have successfully opted-in for an open work permit extension. You will not receive an e-mail confirmation and no further action is required from you at this time.
You received the same ??
Yes exactly, I did not receive any confirmation email after submitting the opt-in application.

I just kept tracking my application in gckey. I only received the email "We updated your application status" when my application was approved and next day I received another email "We sent you a message about your application" when in-Canada approval letter was added in to my gckey application

Last edited:

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Her SOWP was expiring in September 2023 (as my PGWP). She received the opt-in email early June from her GCkey account. She submitted the application and a week later she received the approval with the same expiration date as the old WP, Sep 2023. She even received the new WP in the mail.

I applied for my PGWP extension along with her SOWP extension using my GCKey account in early July. I received both WP-EXT letters and it's still being processed (might take a couple of months).

Today, July 21st, she received a notification on her GCKey account stating that the work permit they sent last month was now invalid and a new work permit was issued, expiring in March 2025.
Its surprisingi that she received the first extension in just a week. Whereas, opt-in application it said that we should expect to receive the extended WP during the month of July.

For sure it was due to a mistake and eventually caused you to apply for her again and pay additional 255 dollars

Reactions: andrews17

Hchopra218

Jul 18, 2023
I received the work permit by mail today. I applied in the first 3-4days after receiving the email about extension.
Can you let us know that did you get update in GC key account before getting the WP on mail? If so, then how many days does it took? As I haven’t received any news on GC account.

Hchopra218

Jul 18, 2023
My wife did not go to PGWP-eligible institute, but my work permit is eligble for 18 month extnsion since she is still on study permit and I have SOWP expiring in November 2023. Will she be able to get an OWP based on my 18 month extension SOWP?
As you mentioned, your wife did studies and considering you were on dependent visa (SOWP). So, in that case your wife institute should be in the DLI list for the PGWP. If not, her only chance would be get a work permit from any employer. As you are dependent, so she can’t be dependent on dependent. I hope this cleara your point. Not an expert, just trying to help you out.