+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders

Canadacomb

Jul 19, 2023
That message was the one that I appreciated when I completed the application:
Congratulations! You have successfully opted-in for an open work permit extension. You will not receive an e-mail confirmation and no further action is required from you at this time.

Reactions: Hchopra218

Hchopra218

Jul 18, 2023
That message was the one that I appreciated when I completed the application:
Congratulations! You have successfully opted-in for an open work permit extension. You will not receive an e-mail confirmation and no further action is required from you at this time.
Yea. If we don’t get by july 31, we need to raise webform.
When was your opt in date and when is your permit expiring?

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
I received email on 7 june that I am eligible for opt-in and applied on the same day.

On 14 July, my gckey status changed to "we are reviewing you application" and approved on 17 July

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
So something weird happened today

1. I'm on PGWP, got the opt-in email in April but didn't submit it because my passport was expiring soon.
2. My wife on SOWP got the opt-in email June. She submitted the application but got her new work permit with the same expiration date as the old one (Sept 2023). We assumed this was because my PGWP was still expiring in September and I had not submitted yet my extension application.
3. I renewed my passport and we sent the application to extend both our PGWP and SOWP on July (we paid $255 each).
4. Today, my wife got an update on her application (the opt-in one) saying her work permit was extended until March 2025.

No idea why did this happen. It's great that she got the extension, but I guess that means they could have approved it earlier and save us $255. I'm also intrigued on what's going to happen when they process her extension application, the one sent in July, if her work permit was already extended. Should I send a webform?

Hchopra218

Jul 18, 2023
I received email on 7 june that I am eligible for opt-in and applied on the same day.

On 14 July, my gckey status changed to "we are reviewing you application" and approved on 17 July
When was your previous expiry of WP?
I m just trying to understand are they processing it from backwards, starting from December going to August.

Hchopra218

Jul 18, 2023

1. I'm on PGWP, got the opt-in email in April but didn't submit it because my passport was expiring soon.
2. My wife on SOWP got the opt-in email June. She submitted the application but got her new work permit with the same expiration date as the old one (Sept 2023). We assumed this was because my PGWP was still expiring in September and I had not submitted yet my extension application.
3. I renewed my passport and we sent the application to extend both our PGWP and SOWP on July (we paid $255 each).
4. Today, my wife got an update on her application (the opt-in one) saying her work permit was extended until March 2025.

No idea why did this happen. It's great that she got the extension, but I guess that means they could have approved it earlier and save us $255. I'm also intrigued on what's going to happen when they process her extension application, the one sent in July, if her work permit was already extended. Should I send a webform?
Regular work permit extension take longer than this opt in. Even if you raise webform, once the application has been processed it will go as normal. But, as per my knowledge your wife will get a new extension of 3 years from the previous expiry as you will 3 yr of PGWP. So, in both case it’s a win win. Sooner or later , you will have to go to normal process.

Reactions: andrews17

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada

Yes, it seems to be a mistake or bug. All the open work permit holder were eligible regardless the status of principal application. My work permit is expring in October but my spouse has now a work permit valid upto April 2025

Reactions: andrews17

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Yes, it seems to be a mistake or bug. All the open work permit holder were eligible regardless the status of principal application. My work permit is expring in October but my spouse has now a work permit valid upto April 2025
That's what I thought. So I guess we just spent $255 because of a system bug. Anyways, I'm glad her work permit was extended, now I just gotta wait for mine.

Reactions: powereng1982