+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders

Hchopra218

Jul 18, 2023
Sharing some positive news for those who are waiting. I received three updates in my IRCC account yesterday! :) Here are my details:
- SOWP of a SP holder who applied for PGWP
- Opted-in on 27th June
- Previous permit expiration: Aug 2023

Three updates in the IRCC account:
- Previous permit is invalid
- New work permit valid until Feb 2025
- New ETA valid until 2028

My question is, are they going to send a new TRV sticker together with the new work permit?
You opted in on june 27. That’s great.
I did on june 14. Hopefully, will hear something soon.

Reactions: CheerPrincess

CheerPrincess

Jun 23, 2023
Congrats !!

So my understanding is that there is no new TRV sticker that is given along with an extended SP or WP. One needs to apply for a new visitor visa.

Read this :
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-new-temporary-resident-visa-within-canada.html
Thanks for sharing the link. I thought the eTA I received as an update in my IRCC account will suffice as a travel document when I leave and return to Canada.

UPDATE: I received an email and I confirm that we don't need to apply for a new TRV. The eTA can be used for air travel only.

"To allow you to travel to or re-enter to Canada by air only, we issued you an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) when we issued your permit extension."

Last edited:

approvalplease

Star Member
Jun 20, 2023
I did not get a chance to opt in since I was waiting for an SOWP extension my work permit now expires in Nov 2023, so I now am eligible for the 18 month extension under the public policy. However, since I did not get to opt in I have to apply the regular way but the wait times are ridiculous. What are the possibilities of having this done at the port of entry?

kaihuh

Nov 22, 2022
I got an update today

Review of eligibility - July 19, 2023:Your eligibility has been reviewed. Please see the final decision below.

Doc now expire in 2025

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Thanks for sharing the link. I thought the eTA I received as an update in my IRCC account will suffice as a travel document when I leave and return to Canada.

UPDATE: I received an email and I confirm that we don't need to apply for a new TRV. The eTA can be used for air travel only.

"To allow you to travel to or re-enter to Canada by air only, we issued you an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) when we issued your permit extension."
You must be from a exempted country that doesnt need a sticker visa to enter Canada and can enter with an eTA. In that case, you are sorted.

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
I am the main applicant with employer-specific work permit with my wife on spousal OWP and two kids with study permits.

Our existing permits are expiring in Oct 2023, however, my wife got it renewed for additional 18 months and now her open work permit is valid until April 2025.

While my wife can continue working now onward until 2025, how me and kids can extend our stay? Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
I am the main applicant with employer-specific work permit with my wife on spousal OWP and two kids with study permits.

Our existing permits are expiring in Oct 2023, however, my wife got it renewed for additional 18 months and now her open work permit is valid until April 2025.

While my wife can continue working now onward until 2025, how me and kids can extend our stay? Thanks
As you are on a Closed Work Permit, if my understanding is correct, you have to get it renewed through your employer only. If your employer is not willing to extend your permit and you still need to stay on in Canada then you have to file for a temporary resident visa/visitor record to continue living in Canada, but then you cant work with it. But I suggest you look at this link : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/visit-to-work.html , which on certain conditions allow you to file for an open work permit. I am not an immigration consultant, and this is a serious matter, so you best engage an immigration lawyer for consultation. For your kids, they are on SP, but if it is expiring, I think you can extend it if their studies are ongoing. If the studies are done, the same applies - they need to file for a visitor record and continue to live in Canada.

Reactions: powereng1982

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
As you are on a Closed Work Permit, if my understanding is correct, you have to get it renewed through your employer only. If your employer is not willing to extend your permit and you still need to stay on in Canada then you have to file for a temporary resident visa/visitor record to continue living in Canada, but then you cant work with it. But I suggest you look at this link : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/visit-to-work.html , which on certain conditions allow you to file for an open work permit. I am not an immigration consultant, and this is a serious matter, so you best engage an immigration lawyer for consultation. For your kids, they are on SP, but if it is expiring, I think you can extend it if their studies are ongoing. If the studies are done, the same applies - they need to file for a visitor record and continue to live in Canada.
Thanks it makes sense.

I am still interested in what code IRCC writes in open work permits that are issued under special policies i.e open work permit issued to Iranian recently.

Shall her work permit still have C41 code written on work permit letter?

intelligent_k

Jun 23, 2023
Checked the gckey account and noticed that previous documents disappeared (counterfoil and WP numbers), and there’s nothing new instead of them… Does anybody have/had the same issue?

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Checked the gckey account and noticed that previous documents disappeared (counterfoil and WP numbers), and there’s nothing new instead of them… Does anybody have/had the same issue?
It seems to be a bug issue. Try again next time and it will be fine for sure

For my wife, I can see both ; old and new. For old, it says Invalid

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Now there is another update and a letter has been updated. Its weird though. The letter seems to assume that we are not in Canada and says that we should bring the new letter and then CBSA will issue a WP. This is the same doc that was initially given when we landed in Canada for the first time some years ago.

Not sure what needs to be done to get the extended WP. Or do I assume that for inland people, the WP will be mailed to your Canadian address ?

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Thanks it makes sense.

I am still interested in what code IRCC writes in open work permits that are issued under special policies i.e open work permit issued to Iranian recently.

Shall her work permit still have C41 code written on work permit letter?
I dont have any information on that. You may need to check with others as well.

CugTr

Jul 21, 2023
Same with me. Those were still there until yesterday.
I did opt-in on Jun 8th and now get nothing.

Reactions: intelligent_k