+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Yes you will receive an email and a message appears on your IRCC WP application under " messages about your application" there is a letter titled " in Canada approval letter " which says that a secure document has been mailed
Once you get the hardcopy keep us posted here. So that we can track our timeline.

Reactions: Canadacomb
Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Good news from my side. I just logged into gckey once again, and now I see the update in gckey. The previous SOWP is now showing invalid and I have got the new SOWP extension as a new entry in document status for additional 18 months. Hopefully the new WP will arrive in postal mail shortly. All the best to everyone waiting for the extension !!

Reactions: intelligent_k

Hchopra218

Jul 18, 2023
Good news from my side. I just logged into gckey once again, and now I see the update in gckey. The previous SOWP is now showing invalid and I have got the new SOWP extension as a new entry in document status for additional 18 months. Hopefully the new WP will arrive in postal mail shortly. All the best to everyone waiting for the extension !!
Congrats.
When did you apply for it?

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Can you share the screenshot of GC key? Hide your info.

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
My spouse is a student. I have SOWP, expiry date is 31st August 2023. SO what should I do now ? go to port to get the workpermit ? or are they going to mail to my address ?
Your wife status current status is study or she got the PGWP.
Asking this so that I can assess my application.

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Can you share the screenshot of GC key? Hide your info.
To be honest, not comfortable sharing a screenshot for privacy reasons. To be assured, it is an update on the existing application and a new line item is created under the existing Document status with the new WP extension date (18 months to be exact). Also, the opt-in is from June 7th and not June 16th (I repeated the opt-in thinking the first time didnt work). So those who opted-in between June 7th to June 12th should start receiving updates from tomorrow. I am sure it will all be approved in next 2-3 days for everyone who opted-in.

Reactions: Hchopra218

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
To be honest, not comfortable sharing a screenshot for privacy reasons. To be assured, it is an update on the existing application and a new line item is created under the existing Document status with the new WP extension date (18 months to be exact). Also, the opt-in is from June 7th and not June 16th (I repeated the opt-in thinking the first time didnt work). So those who opted-in between June 7th to June 12th should start receiving updates from tomorrow. I am sure it will all be approved in next 2-3 days for everyone who opted-in.
So your first opt-in date was June 7th not June 15th as you mentioned earlier.
You scared the shit out of me. :p
I was wondering how come they jumped to the June 15 application directly from June 7th.

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Whom so ever got the new permit your current TRV is invalid, correct? Are you guys planning to apply new TRV with this extended work permit?

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Whom so ever got the new permit your current TRV is invalid, correct? Are you guys planning to apply new TRV with this extended work permit?
The TRV sticker on the passport was initially granted when you got the first WP. When you want to extend your TRV, you wont be applying for a new W-type of TRV. Instead what you need to do is to apply for a regular visitor visa (V-type) and that's processed and valid for 5 years, I think.

CheerPrincess

Jun 23, 2023
Sharing some positive news for those who are waiting. I received three updates in my IRCC account yesterday! :) Here are my details:
- SOWP of a SP holder who applied for PGWP
- Opted-in on 27th June
- Previous permit expiration: Aug 2023

Three updates in the IRCC account:
- Previous permit is invalid
- New work permit valid until Feb 2025
- New ETA valid until 2028

My question is, are they going to send a new TRV sticker together with the new work permit?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Sharing some positive news for those who are waiting. I received three updates in my IRCC account yesterday! :) Here are my details:
- SOWP of a SP holder who applied for PGWP
- Opted-in on 27th June
- Previous permit expiration: 05 August

Three updates in the IRCC account:
- Previous permit is invalid
- New work permit valid until Feb 2025
- New ETA valid until 2028

My question is, are they going to send a new TRV sticker together with the new work permit?
Congrats !!

So my understanding is that there is no new TRV sticker that is given along with an extended SP or WP. One needs to apply for a new visitor visa.

Read this :
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/apply-new-temporary-resident-visa-within-canada.html

Reactions: CheerPrincess