+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders

sarab1402

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
My wife is also on SOWP till 31-Dec-2023. She got the opt-in email and I created a seperate IRCC GCKey login for her and after linking her current WP, saw the opt-in link inside GCkey. So I applied for her extension opt-in on June 15th. No mail received after opting in and no updates via email or GCKey received so far. Still waiting. Like the member who mentioned, IRCC says to raise webform with "OWP2023" in the text box if the extended WP is not received before July 31st 2023. So lets hope there is some progress.
Hey, your spouse holds SOWP because you got the study permit? Correct me if I'm wrong.

sj1023

Jul 10, 2023
What email says? Can you share the content here?
You were identified as eligible for a simplified, faster process to extend your post-graduation work permit or open work permit and you opted in.

Due to a technical issue, the address confirmation you previously provided failed to update in our system. In order to either mail you your work permit, or continue the processing of your opt-in selection with the correct mailing address in a timely manner, you must take further action to provide your current Canadian mailing address before midnight July 27, 2023.

sairayasmin

Jul 12, 2023
You were identified as eligible for a simplified, faster process to extend your post-graduation work permit or open work permit and you opted in.

Due to a technical issue, the address confirmation you previously provided failed to update in our system. In order to either mail you your work permit, or continue the processing of your opt-in selection with the correct mailing address in a timely manner, you must take further action to provide your current Canadian mailing address before midnight July 27, 2023.
Did you receive this email for the pgwp opt in simplified process? @sj1023

Last edited:

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022

I received the same email. However, it's no longer relevant in my case. But, just for the fun of it, I tried to "update" my address (which I didn't change in the first place). Got an error saying no valid work permit can be found.

Jun 3, 2020
India
Category........
PNP
Hey, your spouse holds SOWP because you got the study permit? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, she has SOWP because I had Study permit earlier. But I now have PGWP valid till 2026. I decided to use opt-in for my wife's SOWP extension instead of new SOWP renewal application for her to save some dollars for the moment :D

quatummm

Jun 28, 2021
That amazing!
Can you let me know your status? I mean you got the SOWP on what basis? Did your spouse holds PGWP or Closed work permit or study permit?
My spouse is a student. I have SOWP, expiry date is 31st August 2023. SO what should I do now ? go to port to get the workpermit ? or are they going to mail to my address ?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Does anybody know how to fix this? I have a friend who's having the same issue trying to update their address.
I think its because all my temporary permits/visas have been cancelled when I received my eCOPR.

Phuong Anh

May 26, 2023
I got my update and approval yesterday. There was no message or mail at all, just go to your recent application and there is an extra line saying that your application is valid. :)

kaihuh

Nov 22, 2022
I got my update and approval yesterday. There was no message or mail at all, just go to your recent application and there is an extra line saying that your application is valid. :)
My last WP Application still says approved, where could you check the recent application? After I applied optin, there is no additional application has been created.

Phuong Anh

May 26, 2023
My last WP Application still says approved, where could you check the recent application? After I applied optin, there is no additional application has been created.
The update line is updated in your current WP application ("your last approved one"). Check the document status, you will see 2 lines, 1 saying that your last permit is invalid and the other updating your new expiry date. Need to be very careful to see the update! ;)