+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opt-in for Valid Open Work Permit Holders

AndryMedina

Jun 7, 2023
My husband is doing a 2-year program. He will finish on August 2023, so he will apply for a 3-year PGWP. As his wife, I have an Open Work permit. Today I received an email from IRCC with the following message: "You have been identified as a holder of an open work permit set to expire between August 1 and December 31, 2023. You may be eligible to stay and work in Canada for an additional 18 months from the date your current work permit expires."

My question is: If I apply today and receive the 18-month extension, will I be able to apply later for the remaining time of the three years Open work permit?

mike_07

Apr 6, 2022
As per my knowledge, you can apply later for the remainder of the three years but I'll let experts to answer this. Also, could you share when is your work permit expiring?

alexisjarome

Feb 15, 2023
My husband is doing a 2-year program. He will finish on August 2023, so he will apply for a 3-year PGWP. As his wife, I have an Open Work permit. Today I received an email from IRCC with the following message: "You have been identified as a holder of an open work permit set to expire between August 1 and December 31, 2023. You may be eligible to stay and work in Canada for an additional 18 months from the date your current work permit expires."

My question is: If I apply today and receive the 18-month extension, will I be able to apply later for the remaining time of the three years Open work permit?

Were you able to see the opt-in option in your GC key account?
I also received that email but can't find the opt-in link.

mike_07

Apr 6, 2022
I hope you all got the link. I did not receive the email from IRCC regarding opt in but the option/link was visible in my gckey, so I successfully opted for it.

bahielbasueny

Jun 8, 2023
I hope you all got the link. I did not receive the email from IRCC regarding opt in but the option/link was visible in my gckey, so I successfully opted for it.
Where can I find the opt-in link?
I looked under start an application and I still can't find any link despite I received the email.

xhaust

May 29, 2022
Where can I find the opt-in link?
I looked under start an application and I still can't find any link despite I received the email.
Log in to ircc account and check at the bottom section and you will see "Open work permit holder: Extend your open work permit (an additional 18 months from the date of your current work permit expiry)". Follow the link.

bahielbasueny

Jun 8, 2023
Log in to ircc account and check at the bottom section and you will see "Open work permit holder: Extend your open work permit (an additional 18 months from the date of your current work permit expiry)". Follow the link.
Unfortunately, it seems I didn't get the link yet. My most recent OWP get issued through Canada border service agency and it doesn't show up in my account. Can this be the cause I didn't get the link?