+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Operable Cancer Impacts Permanent Residency?

Puracanada

Jan 25, 2019
Hello,

My family and I are gearing up for a move to Canada, where I have been offered a position (skilled worker/NAFTA exception). I plan to work remotely for my new Canadian employer for the next several months before the rest of my family and I made the move to Canada later this year. The idea is to gain the points via working for a Canadian employer and then apply for permanent residency under Express Entry a year after we all reach Canadian soil (I am at the cusp of the points needed and this work experience will hopefully get more over the top).

So...long story short: I discovered last week that I have an operable tumor. Without all of the gory details, the final diagnosis of whether or not it is cancer and what it means for the future will come once post surgery. The doctors have said that the odds are good it is indeed cancer. They have also stated that it POSSIBLE that I will not require any additional treatment beyond routine checks based on my age.

After a fair amount of reading up on the subject, I believe I have a basic understanding of the types of medical conditions which can lead to the denial of permanent residency. I am also aware of the relatively new increase in the CAD$ amount above which I would be considered a burden.

I please have two basic questions at this point:

1) If anyone has dealt with something similar -- what did you need in terms of records and "proof" that you were not going to be an ongoing burden? I have to disclose this issue and the freshly healed scar from my surgery will be more than obvious when I undergo my Canadian medical exam. I'll be able to drag x-rays, images, etc. but did you also need to have a letter from your surgeon or physician that stated that you were cancer-free post surgery? Were you required to see a Canadian Oncologist?
2) If, on the other hand, I learn post surgery that the cancer has spread, or some other variation of bad news, is our dream of becoming Canadian residents just that -- a dream? I have run across conflicting information. Some posts/info seems to say that a spouse of someone who is declared a medical burden can be exempted from that test. If that information is correct we also, potentially, have an avenue where my wife can be one who works for a Canadian employer. In other spots it appears to say that any member of the family considered to be a medical burden dooms the application for permanent residency for all.

I recognize that the devil is in the details. I have already engaged an immigration attorney but find them both slow and vague on this front. I would very much appreciate any insights or comments from those that might have gone through a variation of this situation.

Thank you

forestj

Feb 5, 2019
Hi I'm wondering how you got on in this situation as I am in a similar one myself. I hope you are now in good health.