+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opening bank account in soft landing?

Citizenoftheworld

Jun 14, 2020
Don't worry, none of this is an issue or any form of misrepresentation. You'll be fine.

Also, as soon as CBSA signed your CoPR you became a PR. And that means that you have rights in Canada - including the right to live anywhere you like.
Thank you for the reassurance, i was just worried that me not volunteering that iam soft landing and me not mentioning the days of visit will be misrepresentation when i apply for citizenship specially that the systems are all linked.

Citizenoftheworld

Jun 14, 2020
Unlikely. If you read the "Deemed Resident" rules here - https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html

It says that "bank accounts" is a secondary tie that may be relevant. If the ONLY tie you have to Canada is a bank account that you never even used, it's hard to see how that could make you a deemed resident.

Of course, I'm not a tax lawyer, so keep that in mind.
Hey 21Goose, I phoned up the bank and it seems like my account information says that I am a tax resident of Canada, I am really anxious now does that mean they report it to the CRA or its just information on my profile?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hey 21Goose, I phoned up the bank and it seems like my account information says that I am a tax resident of Canada, I am really anxious now does that mean they report it to the CRA or its just information on my profile?
Sorry, I can't really give you concrete information that I can stand behind 100%. If you're this worried, you should talk to a professional (tax lawyer, CPA, etc) because everyone's individual circumstances are different.

Molelaner

Aug 28, 2021
What do I need to manage my bank account?
Of course, you can, but you will need to discuss all details with a bank employee. But most likely, he will give you approval because I also often flew to Germany but did not live there. And the process of creating a bank account for me was delayed for 1.5 years. Subsequently, everything went smoothly, and now I keep money exclusively in a German and Swiss bank. I also use applications that allow you to monitor your expenses only in German, not in Canadian. Although, I do not in any way condemn people who keep their money in Canadian banks. I don't trust them, that's all.