+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opening a joint bank acc before marriage?

Gauging

Jan 2, 2020
Me (US) and my fiancée (CAD) plan on getting married and filing for spousal sponsor later this year. I plan on visiting this month and was planning on looking into seeing if itd be possible for us to open a joint savings account together to put all the money we’ve both been saving for stuff like wedding, applications, house etc in one place. Would this be a good idea to use in our application as an example of our relationship being real?

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Me (US) and my fiancée (CAD) plan on getting married and filing for spousal sponsor later this year. I plan on visiting this month and was planning on looking into seeing if itd be possible for us to open a joint savings account together to put all the money we’ve both been saving for stuff like wedding, applications, house etc in one place. Would this be a good idea to use in our application as an example of our relationship being real?
Shared finances are definitely a good thing in the eyes of IRCC. Not completely sure how it'll work with opening the account, but I think it should be straight forward. I (US) opened an account with my husband (Canadian citizen) when I was here as a visitor and it wasn't an issue. I don't recall if I had to show we were married or not. You can always call the bank (recommend calling the local branch) and ask what they want for documentation.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Don't know about specific accounts, but it may be possible to have a credit card issued in spouse's name against your own account. (I was able to do when spouse had no connection with Canada)