+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Visa Question

AB40645

Apr 11, 2018
Hello all,
Currently spouse and I are applying for PR and an open work permit. Under 'employment' it's asking for my past 10 years of working history, but I'm only 24 and didnt start working until I was 15 years old. Do I only need to put information about what I worked 18+ or also anything under.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Jessilyn

Feb 16, 2018
If you're filing under the Schedule A Background Deceleration, then the instructions say to use Either the last 10 years or when you turned 18 (whichever comes first). In your case, you became 18 first before 10 years have passed. So you'll start with the month of your birth with the work you were doing then and work your way to now.
ALSO
Don't leave -any- gaps in your work history whatsoever. If you were unemployed, make sure to say you were 'unemployed'. And never use 'not applicable' as an answer. If it asks what your job/occupation/activity was, you put 'Looking for work during this time' or if you were visiting family in another country, you put "visiting' as your activity. And in the area where it says Name of Company/Employer/School/Facility/ as applicable, you will want to put where you were at that time (if you were in between jobs, write where you were living).
This was the information I was given by a lawyer who used to be on the immigration board for approving or denying applications. She was very helpful in helping us avoid very common mistakes

Reactions: AB40645

AB40645

Apr 11, 2018
Ah! Thank you so much! I have for them the info from between the ages of 18-24(now), and for what Im doing right now I just have 'homemaker/unemployed' since legally I cant work yet, thank you SO much for the information!!

Jessilyn

Feb 16, 2018
You're welcome! My husband and I are about to send out my forms and that part had me filled with anxiety and questions haha. But thankfully our lawyer was able to help with that as well :) Good luck on your forms!