+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permits (OWP)

yukons

Dec 12, 2020
Hi All. I was hoping that we could have a thread of open work permit submission dates and approvals. My husband is waiting for his OWP and it would be great to have an idea of the timeline and how immigration is processing the applications... We hired Campbell and Cohen to do all the filing for us.

Applied for visitor record December 18, 2020
PR application: Feb 24
OWP application: Feb 24
AOR1: Feb 26, 2021
Bio Request: April 27, 2021
Bio Completed: April 27, 2021
Visitor record approved: May 19, 2021
Medical Requested: May 20, 2021
Visitor Record received May 27, 2021

USA - Canada

Last edited:

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Hi All. I was hoping that we could have a thread of open work permit submission dates and approvals. My husband is waiting for his OWP and it would be great to have an idea of the timeline and how immigration is processing the applications... We hired Campbell and Cohen to do all the filing for us.

Applied for visitor record December 18, 2020
PR application: Feb 24
OWP application: Feb 24
AOR1: Feb 26, 2021
Bio Request: April 27, 2021
Bio Completed: April 27, 2021
Visitor record approved: May 19, 2021
Medical Requested: May 20, 2021
Visitor Record received May 27, 2021

USA - Canada
Since the start of the pandemic, if the Spousal Sponsorship PR/OWP applicant has no previous permit history (work, study, etc.) with Canada they will likely have to wait until they get AIP (Approved In Principle) status with their PR application before their OWP is approved. I'm in this category and I'm a March 2020 inland Spousal Sponsorship PR/OWP applicant and am still waiting for my OWP.

Could be awhile unless your husband had a previous work/study/etc. permit.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Since the start of the pandemic, if the Spousal Sponsorship PR/OWP applicant has no previous permit history (work, study, etc.) with Canada they will likely have to wait until they get AIP (Approved In Principle) status with their PR application before their OWP is approved. I'm in this category and I'm a March 2020 inland Spousal Sponsorship PR/OWP applicant and am still waiting for my OWP.

You shouldn't need to wait till AIP if you have a valid status.

OP should get OWP before AIP since they keep the PA under valid visitor status.

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
You shouldn't need to wait till AIP if you have a valid status.

OP should get OWP before AIP since they keep the PA under valid visitor status.
Yeah, this is how it worked pre-pandemic. As explained to me by an IRCC telephone agent recently, first-time PR/OWP applicants currently need to get AIP before an OWP is approved.

And while AIP may be provide 'valid status' internally for IRCC, it means nothing to CBSA. Only DM/COPR (or a current OWP in this case), provide valid status.

Occasionally a first-time PR/OWP applicant may slip through and be approved, but the VAST majority of first-time applicants have to wait for AIP for an OWP to be issued.

• Wow
Reactions: scylla and YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yeah, this is how it worked pre-pandemic. As explained to me by an IRCC telephone agent recently, first-time PR/OWP applicants currently need to get AIP before an OWP is approved.

And while AIP may be provide 'valid status' internally for IRCC, it means nothing to CBSA. Only DM/COPR (or a current OWP in this case), provide valid status.

Occasionally a first-time PR/OWP applicant may slip through and be approved, but the VAST majority of first-time applicants have to wait for AIP for an OWP to be issued.
So they are going back to the old way 6 or so years ago...

yukons

Dec 12, 2020
Does the medical need to be completed and approved for the AIP? I hear that is what takes the longest...

travelingrabbit

Star Member
Jul 24, 2020
I'm confused by this thread, a large number of us in July Inland 2020 received OWP before AIP/SA. My understanding is that it is still only required for the applicant to have valid status in Canada. I've never held a work/study permit before and I received an OWP in April this year along with a bunch of others.

Am I misinterpreting something?

Reactions: YVR123

yukons

Dec 12, 2020
That's why I'm confused as well. Looking through the old spread sheets I see a lot of people got their OWP (open work permit) before they got a medical request... I'm hoping that's the case.

I'm confused by this thread, a large number of us in July Inland 2020 received OWP before AIP/SA. My understanding is that it is still only required for the applicant to have valid status in Canada. I've never held a work/study permit before and I received an OWP in April this year along with a bunch of others.

Am I misinterpreting something?

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
That's why I'm confused as well. Looking through the old spread sheets I see a lot of people got their OWP (open work permit) before they got a medical request... I'm hoping that's the case.
All I know is what was told to me by an IRCC phone agent recently. She stated that this was a newer directive, but that occasionally some applicants could slip through. Not sure if the forum population here represents an accurate cross-section of total Spousal Sponsorship cases IRCC has, but, for the most part, it seems some are getting through, and many others are still waiting. :confused:

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
This page was modified just over a month ago and still have the OWP posted as an option for inland sponsorship application. But I just saw another PA not getting OWP and is already receiving information about AIP.... IRCC needs to clarify this. If they are not approving OWP, they shouldn't tell ppl to apply...

Date modified: 2021-04-28

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17
It sure feels like the Wild West over at IRCC regarding rules and regulations since the start of the pandemic. They were clearly not at all prepared for such an event. All we can do is wait and watch while IRCC leadership flails around.

• Sad

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
im

august 2020 recieved owp in april

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It sure feels like the Wild West over at IRCC regarding rules and regulations since the start of the pandemic. They were clearly not at all prepared for such an event. All we can do is wait and watch while IRCC leadership flails around.
Would trust online resources over the customer service agents.

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Would trust online resources over the customer service agents.
This also my default position, but the agent I spoke with seemed very knowledgeable, and also spent a great deal of time deep-diving on my PR application (once connected to the agent call lasted just over an hour). The agent was extremely helpful - MUCH more so then they usually are.

Still yet, I hope the meaning of your comment is true.