+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit?

ejp12

Sep 7, 2022
Hello,

I am applying for permanent residency in Canada. My wife is a Canadian citizen and is sponsoring me. I am trying to find the open work permit forms to fill out and submit with my permanent resident application but can not find that form. Does anyone know where I can find that form? I am applying from within Canada.

Thank you!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It seems as though most have to apply for the OWP online. You have to wait until you have received the AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) of IRCC receiving the sponsorship application before you are eligible to apply for the OWP.

Previously a person could include the OWP application when submitting the hard copy sponsorship application. This was a great way to extend legal status while waiting for the PR process to complete, but it looks like that has changed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html
"Normally, a work permit must be applied for prior to coming to Canada. Only in a few special circumstances presented in this guide can an initial work permit be applied for within Canada:

• you presently hold a valid study or work permit;
  • you are the spouse of a study or work permit holder;
  • you were previously authorized to work without a permit;
  • you presently hold a valid Temporary Resident Permit;
  • you are a refugee claimant or an applicant for permanent residence in Canada under section 207 of the IRPR, or
  • you are a trader or investor, intra-company transferee or professional under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA)."

More info-
Applicants in Canada

207 A work permit may be issued under section 200 to a foreign national in Canada who

• (a) [Repealed, SOR/2017-78, s. 9]
  • (b) is a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class set out in Division 2 of Part 7;
  • (c) is a protected person within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Act;
  • (d) has applied to become a permanent resident and the Minister has granted them an exemption under subsection 25(1), 25.1(1) or 25.2(1) of the Act; or
  • (e) is a family member of a person described in any of paragraphs (a) to (d).

Ragavan S

Jun 18, 2022
It seems as though most have to apply for the OWP online. You have to wait until you have received the AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) of IRCC receiving the sponsorship application before you are eligible to apply for the OWP.

Previously a person could include the OWP application when submitting the hard copy sponsorship application. This was a great way to extend legal status while waiting for the PR process to complete, but it looks like that has changed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html
"Normally, a work permit must be applied for prior to coming to Canada. Only in a few special circumstances presented in this guide can an initial work permit be applied for within Canada:

• you presently hold a valid study or work permit;
  • you are the spouse of a study or work permit holder;
  • you were previously authorized to work without a permit;
  • you presently hold a valid Temporary Resident Permit;
  • you are a refugee claimant or an applicant for permanent residence in Canada under section 207 of the IRPR, or
  • you are a trader or investor, intra-company transferee or professional under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA)."

More info-
Applicants in Canada

207 A work permit may be issued under section 200 to a foreign national in Canada who

• (a) [Repealed, SOR/2017-78, s. 9]
  • (b) is a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class set out in Division 2 of Part 7;
  • (c) is a protected person within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Act;
  • (d) has applied to become a permanent resident and the Minister has granted them an exemption under subsection 25(1), 25.1(1) or 25.2(1) of the Act; or
  • (e) is a family member of a person described in any of paragraphs (a) to (d).
Hi ,

Thank You.

I have submitted my Spousal Sponsorship application online and received AOR on 09-Sep-2022. In my case my current organization already filed Closed work permit extension and it is in-progress. As i received Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR) I want to apply for Open work permit.

Can i apply for open work permit now as my Closed work permit extension is already in-progress and submitted with IRCC on August 05th.

Can anyone please clarify and provide your suggestions. Thanks !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi ,

Thank You.

I have submitted my Spousal Sponsorship application online and received AOR on 09-Sep-2022. In my case my current organization already filed Closed work permit extension and it is in-progress. As i received Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR) I want to apply for Open work permit.

Can i apply for open work permit now as my Closed work permit extension is already in-progress and submitted with IRCC on August 05th.

Yes, you can apply for the OWP.

Reactions: Ragavan S

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank You !. So Now when i submit my Open work permit, My Closed work permit will also be in-progress .?
You need to keep the closed WP extension to keep working. Once the OWP is granted the closed WP will be cancelled in favour of the OWP as long as the order of approval is OWP is approved after closed WP.

Rhea Jose

Mar 15, 2020
Hi ,

Thank You.

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. Which document checklist are you receiving online after the questionnaire? Is it asking you to fill the below form?

Because the CIC website says this is the form:
In the Family Information form (IMM 5707) part of the document checklist

Which is a bit confusing. Any insights would be helpful. Thanks.

Ragavan S

Jun 18, 2022
Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. Which document checklist are you receiving online after the questionnaire? Is it asking you to fill the below form?

Hi,

I am applying for inland Open work permit

Ragavan S

Jun 18, 2022
You need to keep the closed WP extension to keep working. Once the OWP is granted the closed WP will be cancelled in favour of the OWP as long as the order of approval is OWP is approved after closed WP.
Thanks for your response

Rhea Jose

Mar 15, 2020
Hi Canuck,

I had a couple of queries regarding owp application. We recently applied for spouse sponsorship inland via online and received AOR. We now want to apply for OWP but I am currently on implied status(visitor visa extension applied). Would I still be eligible to apply for OWP just with AOR?

Also when we try and answer the questionnaire to reach the application forms, it gives us form 5257 which is

But the CIC website mentions that we should be filling form 5707 Family Information form. Does that mean we have the wrong forms? I have filled the questionnaire based on the instructions on the official website so its throwing me off a bit. Any insights would be helpful. Thanks!

Ragavan S

Jun 18, 2022
Yes, you can apply for the OWP.
Hi All,

My Spouse submitted inland Spousal Sponsorship and received AOR last week. I am in closed work permit and I am trying to apply for Open work permit and while applying in the form IMM5710, which option I have to choose for the question3 in the 5710 form. It has four options 1) Apply for open work permit with same employer 2) Apply for open work permit first time or with the new employer 3) Restore my status as worker 4) Get a new temporary resident permit.

Can anyone please answer to my query. Thanks !

cms_phys

Sep 23, 2022

Rhea Jose, did you ever figure out which form was correct? I am in the same situation.