+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

open work permit

manogna

Jul 10, 2014
Hi,
Can anyone please help me out of my quieres. I am an international full time student at Concordia university....i am from India..it has been just 3 months i came to Canada......i also got my SIN number and i am elligible to work off campus. i was recently married and my husband applied for dependent open work permit visa on june 25 2014 with proper documentation... how long will it take to process the file? Is there any chance of refusal.... the cic website states that it takes 20 business days to process the file but it has already been 25 days... i was very tensed...can any one tell how long does it take?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
The processing time you are seeing is for application submitted inside Canada.

Where as your husband is not here so the processing time for his current country of residence would apply. You can look that up for india on CIC website. It sure would be longer than 20 business days.

There can always be chances of refusal. At minimum you should have submitted detailed proof of relationship (recently married needs more than just marriage certificate like photo graphs from wedding, contact logs etc.), your study permit's copy, proof of enough funds for his stay for a year since he doesnt have a guaranteed job yet, in addition to his profile i.e. education, work experience property etc. Many times not having strong local ties to home country turn out to be cause of refusal. So if he had a good job there and quoted that, it would have a very positive impact on file.

manogna

Jul 10, 2014
thanks for the reply, but The processing time for application submitted inside Canada is only 14 days as far as i know.

as you told we have submitted not only the marriage certificate but also wedding card and photos also.

and he works in HYDERABAD in HSBC

and we also included

1. my invitation letter
2. my sin number
3. study permit
4. income tax papers
5. salary certificates
6. valuation report, land documents
7. my bank balance statement in canada
8. my husbands bank balance statement in india
9. my student id
10. hike letter
11. my caq
12. concordia admission letter
13. ielts score card
14. passport xerox
15. pay slips
16. certificates
17. hr letter
18. marriage certificate
19. appreciation letters from work place

are these documents enough please let me know.....thanks in advance

Mosal

May 27, 2014
fkl said:
The processing time you are seeing is for application submitted inside Canada.

Where as your husband is not here so the processing time for his current country of residence would apply. You can look that up for india on CIC website. It sure would be longer than 20 business days.

There can always be chances of refusal. At minimum you should have submitted detailed proof of relationship (recently married needs more than just marriage certificate like photo graphs from wedding, contact logs etc.), your study permit's copy, proof of enough funds for his stay for a year since he doesnt have a guaranteed job yet, in addition to his profile i.e. education, work experience property etc. Many times not having strong local ties to home country turn out to be cause of refusal. So if he had a good job there and quoted that, it would have a very positive impact on file.
I got six month visitor visa on June 25 valid till December 23, 2014. My wife is pursuing her Master from Ottawa University. I m planning to visit her end of this months. Shall I apply for open work permit immeidately after my arrival in Canada? I have read one of the requirements given on CIC is:

•have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more,

Is that make any problem in my work permit process? Your expert advice pls.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Mosal said:
I got six month visitor visa on June 25 valid till December 23, 2014. My wife is pursuing her Master from Ottawa University. I m planning to visit her end of this months. Shall I apply for open work permit immeidately after my arrival in Canada? I have read one of the requirements given on CIC is:

•have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more,

Is that make any problem in my work permit process? Your expert advice pls.
Hmmm.. the weird part that i see is "6 month visitor visa". Seems like you applied on your own (not dependent on your spouse) OR stated that you intend to visit her for a short time or something. Normally a dependent spouse (whether work permit or trv) takes longer to process and includes medicals (normal visit visa doesn't) but is valid for as long as your principal spouse's study permit is. If you had THAT TRV which would valid for more than 6 months, you could apply from inside Canada for open work permit.

However, you cannot apply for an open work permit from inside Canada on a REGULAR VISITOR trv valid for 6 months max.

But i wonder why didn't you apply for SOWP or Spouse dependent trv in the first place from your home country.

Any way this is a bit tricky situation and CIC may or may not allow it. Perhaps you should apply when you are inside Canada online, adding your spousal study permit along and may be they accept it as basis of application being processed in side Canada, else it should automatically be processed in home country being an online application it is easier for CIC to process an application else where.

vijayanand

Apr 11, 2014
Bangalore, India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2014
fkl said:
Hmmm.. the weird part that i see is "6 month visitor visa". Seems like you applied on your own (not dependent on your spouse) OR stated that you intend to visit her for a short time or something. Normally a dependent spouse (whether work permit or trv) takes longer to process and includes medicals (normal visit visa doesn't) but is valid for as long as your principal spouse's study permit is. If you had THAT TRV which would valid for more than 6 months, you could apply from inside Canada for open work permit.

However, you cannot apply for an open work permit from inside Canada on a REGULAR VISITOR trv valid for 6 months max.

But i wonder why didn't you apply for SOWP or Spouse dependent trv in the first place from your home country.

Any way this is a bit tricky situation and CIC may or may not allow it. Perhaps you should apply when you are inside Canada online, adding your spousal study permit along and may be they accept it as basis of application being processed in side Canada, else it should automatically be processed in home country being an online application it is easier for CIC to process an application else where.
hi fkl,

I applied for spouse OWP online outside canada. it takes 4 months to process from my home country.

I heard from my spouse that processing TRV takes less time and the apply OWP inside canada is faster approach.

Anyway i have applied now and waiting and feeling stressed.

Also i have planned to apply FSW14. Shall i apply FSW14 when OWP application in progress?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
vijayanand said:
hi fkl,

I applied for spouse OWP online outside canada. it takes 4 months to process from my home country.

I heard from my spouse that processing TRV takes less time and the apply OWP inside canada is faster approach.

Anyway i have applied now and waiting and feeling stressed.

Also i have planned to apply FSW14. Shall i apply FSW14 when OWP application in progress?
Hi anand,

You could always apply for PR via FSW along, before or after an OWP application. They are tracked separately. When one has already applied for PR and then applies for twp, this is called dual intent and is accepted legally by CIC

singhabhishek251

Jun 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great information on work permit, I have seen here that because of less knowledge or lack of professional consultation many people are missing from the entitled benefit to them.

FordBryan

Aug 13, 2014
Re: open work permit (Philippines)

Dear All:

I would like to ask for your advice:

My wife went to Squamish, BC last April 2014 as a Temporary Worker (with working visa valid up to 2 years) and since I am also employed or has a job in our home country (Philippines), I did not joined her TFW (Temporary Foreign Worker) application. Although I noticed in her application that there is a box to be marked if the spouse "will be accompanying" the applicant, and we ticked-mark "not accompanying".

With that, I am thinking that if I will be applying for an Open Work Permit (as my wife's derivative), would that taint my OWP application? As originally, I did not joined my wife's TFW application. I have now thought that I should have joined her application by submitting the application form together (TFW for my wife and OWP for me). Although, I can not go back to that moment and my only choice is to apply for my own OWP.

In addition to the information given, I have also applied for a Visitor's Visa (TRV) last June 2014 and I was refused based on ties. To give more information, my wife went to Canada as a TFW last April 2014, and we were married May 2011 (been married for more than 3 years), still has no kids/dependents, and I am currently employed here in our home country (Philippines).

Now, I am thinking that aside from the fact that I was refused for a TRV (my plan was to visit her, but it looks like I would not be able to do so, which resulted in my thinking that in order to join my wife, I should then have my OWP).

Given that I have been refused a TRV (based on ties), what do you suggest I do to make my OWP application stronger? What kind of document or letter should I include to make it stronger?

Thank you for taking time reading my letter.

PS: If I have new info, I will post it here so it can also help others.

Thanks guys.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I assume your spouse has a NOC 0, A or B job in Canada. If that is not the case, you are not eligible for SOWP.

@FordBryan working currently in home country with a good job serves as a strong tie. OWP is always the right choice because no spouse visits his other half for a short time. They live together for as long they are there. So trvs often are refused when people try stating a short visit as a purpose.

You should apply for open work permit, provide good finances and possibly any property ownership in home country, provide additional proof of relationship and contact since your wife is already in Canada for some time and of course her work permit and details of current job showing that she is still employed and doing well there.

FordBryan

Aug 13, 2014
Thank you fkl.

In addition, since my TRV app has been refused a month ago & I am now planning to join my Spouse who has a Foreign Worker status & I am considering to apply under the OWP Program. "Is there a proper time frame when to submit an OWP application after a TRV has been refused? or does it matter when?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
FordBryan said:
Thank you fkl.

In addition, since my TRV app has been refused a month ago & I am now planning to join my Spouse who has a Foreign Worker status & I am considering to apply under the OWP Program. "Is there a proper time frame when to submit an OWP application after a TRV has been refused? or does it matter when?
You are most welcome. There is no requirement for a time frame. You can apply right away if you like.

Just the concern is - the VO would probably look at your trv refusal and check the grounds on which it was refused. So you have to ensure those are addressed in the owp application. Otherwise the same could cause a refusal for OWP as well.

cris1225

Aug 28, 2014
Hi

Can anyone tell me if my previous work permit is still valid which will expire next year even though I am already holding an open work permit which will expire this year? Thank you

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
@cris1225,

The general impression i had was, when you get a new work permit, the earlier one is automatically cancelled.

I googled a bit and found this thread. People seem to have conflicting views on this. You should go through the full thread, i only read the first few posts

You can try googling "Two work permits at the same time"
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/holding-two-valid-work-permit-simultaneously-t82474.0.html