+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit while awaiting for PR through EESW

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hi there,

I've applied for my PR through the federal skilled worker EE system and am looking to obtain an open work permit.

I don't have a job offer nor any work experience in Canada which isn't ideal but my profession is regulated and am still in the process of sorting my registration with the relevant authority. I've been advised I've little to no chance of securing a job without prior experience in Canada and being registered with the regulating authority so am in a catch-22.

Anyway, I hope to apply for a work permit whilst I wait for my PR application. I'm a British citizen in Canada on an ETA. The IRCC webpages give slightly contradictory info about open work permits, intermingled with bridging open work permits.

Am I correct in thinking I can apply for a standard Open Work Permit, from within Canada, staying on an ETA, while waiting for my PR application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

I've applied for my PR through the federal skilled worker EE system and am looking to obtain an open work permit.

I don't have a job offer nor any work experience in Canada which isn't ideal but my profession is regulated and am still in the process of sorting my registration with the relevant authority. I've been advised I've little to no chance of securing a job without prior experience in Canada and being registered with the regulating authority so am in a catch-22.

Anyway, I hope to apply for a work permit whilst I wait for my PR application. I'm a British citizen in Canada on an ETA. The IRCC webpages give slightly contradictory info about open work permits, intermingled with bridging open work permits.

Am I correct in thinking I can apply for a standard Open Work Permit, from within Canada, staying on an ETA, while waiting for my PR application?
Based on the information you've provided, you do not qualify for a bridging open work permit (BOWP). To qualify for a BOWP, you need to have an EE application in progress AND must also already hold a valid work permit. It sounds like you're here just on an eTA. If that's the case, you unfortunately do not qualify for a BOWP. You'll need to wait until you are a permanent resident to start working.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just to add that an ETA for visa exempt passport holders is simply an authority to board a plane nothing more. On entry to the country as a visitor which sounds as though you currently are your maximum stay would be 6 months unless stamped otherwise in your passport by CBSA on entry to the country.

You can apply to extend your stay as a visitor beyond that but no guarantee would be successful and in fact your PR application may take longer than your authorised visit during which time as mentioned above you cannot work.

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Based on the information you've provided, you do not qualify for a bridging open work permit (BOWP). To qualify for a BOWP, you need to have an EE application in progress AND must also already hold a valid work permit. It sounds like you're here just on an eTA. If that's the case, you unfortunately do not qualify for a BOWP. You'll need to wait until you are a permanent resident to start working.
Thanks for this. I'm still unclear as the IRCC insinuates an OWP and a BOWP are two different things, and that I would be eligible for an open work permit having applied for a PR (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17). Or have I misunderstood?

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
Thanks yes am aware of this. It seems to be a catch-22 system where I need to be living in Canada or already have a work permit to get a work permit...Is there any avenue I can use to obtain a work permit without a job offer whilst I'm waiting for PR application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for this. I'm still unclear as the IRCC insinuates an OWP and a BOWP are two different things, and that I would be eligible for an open work permit having applied for a PR (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=177&top=17). Or have I misunderstood?
They are effectively the same thing - both are open work permits.

The only kind of open work permit you might qualify for is a BOWP - however as said above, this requires you to already be holding a valid work permit.

An eTA does not entitle you to an open work permit.

Based on the info you've provided, you don't meet any other criteria that would entitled you to an open work permit.

RaeShumba

Star Member
Nov 5, 2019
OK thanks, but how
They are effectively the same thing - both are open work permits.

The only kind of open work permit you might qualify for is a BOWP - however as said above, this requires you to already be holding a valid work permit.

An eTA does not entitle you to an open work permit.

Based on the info you've provided, you don't meet any other criteria that would entitled you to an open work permit.
OK thanks, so how would I go about getting a work permit in the first place without a job offer whilst waiting on my PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks yes am aware of this. It seems to be a catch-22 system where I need to be living in Canada or already have a work permit to get a work permit...Is there any avenue I can use to obtain a work permit without a job offer whilst I'm waiting for PR application?
Only option as a Brit is if you qualified for an IEC / Working Holiday Visa. You'd have to be the right age for that - also, there are only a limited number available at they are all gone for this year. So earliest you'd be able to apply and hope to be selected is December or January and it would take several weeks to process (if you are selected).