+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit - Visitor Record

kartee18

Jun 15, 2018
Hi I have recently came to Canada before 4 days. I have mentioned at the time of entry that my stay going to be 29 days in Canada and came here to meet my wife. Might be because of that reason I did not get the visitor record and I was not aware that this thing is important if I need to apply an open work permit.

1) Can any one help me how can I get the visitor record now, what will be it's procedure and how long will it take?

2) I heard it didn't matter how long we mention we can stay for six months one we entered until unless CBSA specifically mention a date to leave. Can anyone confirm is it true or I have to stay only the mentioned 29 days and I have to leave or what it would be consider as over stay?

(I mentioned 29 days because I was having a return ticket booked on Aug 25th)

I am really worried now and need some experts advice what should I have to do, thanks in advance.

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
Hi I have recently came to Canada before 4 days. I have mentioned at the time of entry that my stay going to be 29 days in Canada and came here to meet my wife. Might be because of that reason I did not get the visitor record and I was not aware that this thing is important if I need to apply an open work permit.

1) Can any one help me how can I get the visitor record now, what will be it's procedure and how long will it take?

2) I heard it didn't matter how long we mention we can stay for six months one we entered until unless CBSA specifically mention a date to leave. Can anyone confirm is it true or I have to stay only the mentioned 29 days and I have to leave or what it would be consider as over stay?

I am really worried now and need some experts advice what should I have to do, thanks in advance.
How long is you visa given for if your visa is good for 6 months, you don't have to worry that you've mentioned 29 days. You can leave a day before visa expired.

kartee18

Jun 15, 2018
How long is you visa given for if your visa is good for 6 months, you don't have to worry that you've mentioned 29 days. You can leave a day before visa expired.

My visa is valid till next December. Thanks for the info..

What about the visitor record, how and where can I get one..

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
My visa is valid till next December. Thanks for the info..

What about the visitor record, how and where can I get one..
If you have Single Entry Visa for 6 Months then you have to Exit form Canada before Expiring Visa Date.
If you have Multiple entry Visa for 10 Years or less then when you enter in Canada, Date of entry to count 180 Days to stay.
If they put specific date on stamp of entry and Exit, That is VISITOR RECORD.(collected from other)

- A TRV (usually called a visitor visa) is a sticker in your passport that allows you entry to Canada if you are from a visa required country.
- A TRP (usually called a visitor record) is a piece of paper that is given to you granting a visitor status for special lengths of stay.
(Jalex23)

Which one apply on you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

I don't know where you are getting your information but you don't need a Visitor Record to apply for a work permit. I assume your wife is an international student or skilled foreign worker in Canada?

sandhu_heera_preet

Star Member
Jul 30, 2016

You have got visitor record by default if there is no date mentioned on the stamp. you can live unto 6 months. you can apply extend your stay as visitor or worker. you should apply before 1 month of expiry of your current visitor record

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you have Single Entry Visa for 6 Months then you have to Exit form Canada before Expiring Visa Date.
If you have Multiple entry Visa for 10 Years or less then when you enter in Canada, Date of entry to count 180 Days to stay.
If they put specific date on stamp of entry and Exit, That is VISITOR RECORD.(collected from other)

- A TRV (usually called a visitor visa) is a sticker in your passport that allows you entry to Canada if you are from a visa required country.
- A TRP (usually called a visitor record) is a piece of paper that is given to you granting a visitor status for special lengths of stay.
(Jalex23)

Which one apply on you.
A TRV has nothing to do with status in Canada. It is a stamp in a passport that allows a person to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. Status is granted by CBSA.

A TRP is a special permit granted to people who are inadmissible to Canada. It is NOT a Visitor Record.

A Visitor Record is given when a person applies to extend their stay or at the border when CBSA wants to limit a person's stay or grant them longer than the standard 6 months.

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
A TRV has nothing to do with status in Canada. It is a stamp in a passport that allows a person to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. Status is granted by CBSA.

A TRP is a special permit granted to people who are inadmissible to Canada. It is NOT a Visitor Record.

A Visitor Record is given when a person applies to extend their stay or at the border when CBSA wants to limit a person's stay or grant them longer than the standard 6 months.
I haven't visited Canada as a visitor, I am not much experience about that, you guys can give advise kartee 18.

Konok keya

Star Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hi everyone,
Need some suggestions for my spouse. Here is the query-
I came to Canada with a visitor visa and while entering into Canada the immigration officer gave me a visitor record for 1 year which was stapled with the passport. Later on I applied for OWP(approved) and for some reason after that applied for Visitor record which is the current status of mine. Now I want to apply for OWP and I need to know
1. Should I upload my past visitor record with the passport which was stapled with my passport when I entered into Canada?
2. Where should I upload my new visitor record while applying for OWP? As they didn't ask for it after finishing the questionnaires.

THANKS

Shereen7393

Aug 28, 2018
Hi,

I am under same situation as Kartee. I reached Canada a week ago. I am allowed to stay for 6 months, as I did not get a visitor record. (I have multiple entry visitor visa till spouse expiry date)

Now, I want to stay with my spouse who is on a closed work permit which expires in August 2020. I want to work and stay in Canada till then. Should I apply for visitor extension and then apply for open work permit? Or directly applying for open work permit with intended duration of work till his permit end date will suffice?

Thanks in Advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am under same situation as Kartee. I reached Canada a week ago. I am allowed to stay for 6 months, as I did not get a visitor record. (I have multiple entry visitor visa till spouse expiry date)

Now, I want to stay with my spouse who is on a closed work permit which expires in August 2020. I want to work and stay in Canada till then. Should I apply for visitor extension and then apply for open work permit? Or directly applying for open work permit with intended duration of work till his permit end date will suffice?

Thanks in Advance!
Assuming your spouse has a skilled job, apply for the OWP.

Shereen7393

Aug 28, 2018
Should match your spouse's permit.
Thank you so much! One final question - As I don't have visitor record, study permit, work permit or temporary Resident Permit issued to me what will be the document number that I need to give under the section 'Coming into Canada' in imm5710e form? Will it be document number in the vistor visa present in my passport or should I leave it blank?

atul2003

May 13, 2019
Thank you so much! One final question - As I don't have visitor record, study permit, work permit or temporary Resident Permit issued to me what will be the document number that I need to give under the section 'Coming into Canada' in imm5710e form? Will it be document number in the vistor visa present in my passport or should I leave it blank?
Is not this section optional? Anyways what did you do and have you got the OWP? How many days it took? And what is the validity date? Spouse WP end date or 6 months from the time you enter?