+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit/US citizen eligible for CERB?

chyhill04

Jul 4, 2016
Hello,

My friend moved to Canada from the US in late 2019 (I believe October). She has an Open Work Permit, a SIN number and recently found a job in February. Due to COVID-19, she lost her employment. The thing is, she only has been in Canada a handful of months, she JUST got a job and lost it as soon as she got it. So there's no way she made $5,000 within the time she has lived here. But when she lived in the US, she made $5,000.

Since she JUST moved, is there any type of aid she can receive from the Canadian government? Is she eligible for CERB if she made $5,000 via another country's income?

Does anyone know if she can receive any aid at all? She is in a desperate spot and really needs help.

Thank you in advance.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello,

My friend moved to Canada from the US in late 2019 (I believe October). She has an Open Work Permit, a SIN number and recently found a job in February. Due to COVID-19, she lost her employment. The thing is, she only has been in Canada a handful of months, she JUST got a job and lost it as soon as she got it. So there's no way she made $5,000 within the time she has lived here. But when she lived in the US, she made $5,000.

Since she JUST moved, is there any type of aid she can receive from the Canadian government? Is she eligible for CERB if she made $5,000 via another country's income?

Does anyone know if she can receive any aid at all? She is in a desperate spot and really needs help.

Thank you in advance.
Check the ROE issued . Does it SPECIFICALLY say in the reason to stop working : Shortage of Work ?
Yes or No
If it states shortage of work, then from the information provided, Yes, if not , No
You say she just got the job & lost it
Also did the American Government issue support to their citizens ? I believe it was $1200 USD ?
If she doesn’t qualify, they would not qualify for EI

Last edited: