+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit Under Public Policy Timelines

Optimux

Jan 4, 2019
Santo Domingo
Gonna tell you what exactly my lawyer told me and that is... no you don't have to leave Canada. It means you are on implied status. As long as you have applied before deadline. Don't worry.
And...I believe your worker status remains the same as it was at the time of the application for the new permit, as long as it was still valid when you applied and, you don't leave Canada. Meaning that you might be able to keep working until a decision is made on your application.

Reactions: jeeneet

Danish4210

Aug 19, 2020
Anyone got their work permit application approved, how long does it take to get a hard copy of the permit in the mail?

karpa

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
My work permit application was approved today.
Applied 23rd July with restoration, Approved 14th October.

I am writing this post to give hope to anyone who is in situation as i was. Here’s my story,

I applied for for my PR application in June 2021. (Still in process)
I had enough time to apply for BOWP and OWP under public policy as my pg work permit was expiring on July 20th. I overlooked the expiry date of my work permit and delayed applying on time.(worst mistake). I lost my status, and came to know that on 23rd July. I freaked out! I applied for restoration + OWP on 23rd July. I had to stop working.
Finally, after 81 days my application for OWP was approved. Don’t ever loose hope and don’t stress out too much, it’s not worth it. Though we all have hard times, but we all come through!!
Now another waiting game starts for my PR application.
Everyone waiting on this thread will get their work permit soon. Good luck y’all. :)

Last edited:

Pleeevs

Oct 14, 2021
I got my OWP on October 8th! I applied on July 23rd.

While relieved, the immigration officer made a mistake.

The "in force from" and "must leave Canada by" fields are the same (May 8th, 2023), and the "must leave Canada by" field does not mach the expiry date they gave to this OWP (October 10, 2025), which I think should be May 8th, 2023, not 2025.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Can I go back to working full time (as I am currently on a student permit)?

Albin123

May 5, 2019
Hi, I applied for a open work permit extension with public policy over PGWP JULY 27, 2021. My work permit will expire on November 26, 2021. Can you please reply how long is the processing time? Am i able to work after november 26 with the status of work permit extension application?

MatEst

Star Member
Jan 23, 2021
Hi, I applied for a open work permit extension with public policy over PGWP JULY 27, 2021. My work permit will expire on November 26, 2021. Can you please reply how long is the processing time? Am i able to work after november 26 with the status of work permit extension application?
On their website it shows a processing time of 85 days or so. We’re among the last group so in the next couple of weeks we should all have gotten it.
My date of submission /expiry date is exactly same with yours. I asked them that question on Twitter and a different forum, unfortunately I didn’t get a response from either side

Fabiog

Mar 22, 2017
I got my OWP on October 8th! I applied on July 23rd.

While relieved, the immigration officer made a mistake.

The "in force from" and "must leave Canada by" fields are the same (May 8th, 2023), and the "must leave Canada by" field does not mach the expiry date they gave to this OWP (October 10, 2025), which I think should be May 8th, 2023, not 2025.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Can I go back to working full time (as I am currently on a student permit)?
it's a typo you can work with it , there is a form you can submit to have it edited which i am not sure where.
you are lucky to get extra 2 years lol