+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit Under Public Policy Timelines

Kumar25

Jun 19, 2021
Not yet, I applied 2 weeks after you. According to previous timelines in this forum it is taking anywhere between 30-45 days.

lucas_morgan

Aug 4, 2021
Hy guys, please tell me if anybody knows the answer to this:
So I am going to apply for my work permit under the public policy but I already got approved for PNP (expired in Dec 2020) and filed for express entry ( paper-based in Nov 2020)
Now While applying I have few questions:

First: Should I select "apply for a new work permit or under new employer" OR " apply for an open work permit under the same employer"
because I don't want my new work permit to be restricted to one employer (i have PGWP open since it was issued)

Second: As my PNP is expired, should i select "YES" to the 8th option under "Details of intended work in canada" in imm form?
because they are just asking if it was "issued"

Any help and advice are much appreciated.
Thanks
Hello - I applied around the same time you did. Did you hear back from immigration yet?

lucas_morgan

Aug 4, 2021
Hey guys I am currently waiting for my Express Entry to be processed and my PGWP is expiring July 17.

I've applied for Work Permit Extension under Public Policy on May 11 and when I called they haven't started reviewing my Eligibility yet which scares me. I am really worried. I have the temporary extension however until September. Should I have applied under BOWP instead? Should I add my AOR to my application? Any feedback helps.
Hello - Did you hear back regarding your OWP application?

mr_water

Sep 17, 2018
I submitted mine on July 23rd, since my PGWP work permit expires in November.
Not yet, only a message that they received the application and my status was extended until late November, until they make a decision on my application.

mr_water

Sep 17, 2018
Not yet, only a message that they received the application and my status was extended until late November, until they make a decision on my application.
For sure. Maybe a technical question, but was I supposed to be holding a job / a job in NOC 0,A or B to be eligible for this work permit? I think not?

JayaK0909

Star Member
Feb 8, 2021
For sure. Maybe a technical question, but was I supposed to be holding a job / a job in NOC 0,A or B to be eligible for this work permit? I think not?
you don't have to hold a job for this type of work permit. You can be unemployed and still get this permit. the idea about this permit is to keep foreign workers in the country who were affected by the pandemic such as laid-off etc. as long as you meet the eligibility requirement you still qualify. the requirement is stated clearly on the ircc website.

mr_water

Sep 17, 2018
you don't have to hold a job for this type of work permit. You can be unemployed and still get this permit. the idea about this permit is to keep foreign workers in the country who were affected by the pandemic such as laid-off etc. as long as you meet the eligibility requirement you still qualify. the requirement is stated clearly on the ircc website.
sounds good

lucas_morgan

Aug 4, 2021
Hey Guys,
So I got approved finally August 9, 2021 5:00pm
PGWP expired January 17, 2021 but I was under implied status from a spousal application.

Applied June 25, 2021 for restoration and OWP under public policy.

Eligibility review message appeared on my profile on Friday August 6th, 2021 7:00pm.

Approved message today at 5:00pm.

Goodluck guys!

Kumar25

Jun 19, 2021
Hey Guys,
So I got approved finally August 9, 2021 5:00pm
PGWP expired January 17, 2021 but I was under implied status from a spousal application.

Applied June 25, 2021 for restoration and OWP under public policy.

Eligibility review message appeared on my profile on Friday August 6th, 2021 7:00pm.

Approved message today at 5:00pm.

Goodluck guys!
Congrats Lucas, thank you for the update!

Reactions: lucas_morgan