+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit to closed work permit

geevik

Jan 24, 2019
Hi all,
Is is possible to change from open work permit to closed work permit within Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Doesn’t look if you qualify unless your spouse started studying or working on a closed work permit herself.
A closed work permit would be completely independent of OP's spouse and would depend on whether the OP's employer has a positive LMIA. A closed work permit cannot be obtained on the basis of a spouse studying or having a closed work permit themselves.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A closed work permit would be completely independent of OP's spouse and would depend on whether the OP's employer has a positive LMIA. A closed work permit cannot be obtained on the basis of a spouse studying or having a closed work permit themselves.
Thanks. Had a dyslexic moment and read the opposite.

tkcanada

Feb 12, 2020
Hi! Newbie here! Can someone please enlighten me how to apply for closed work permit. Currently, I have an open work permit with my wife as an international student. We are planning to apply for a second year program for my wife to extend our respective visas - SP and OWP and then later on apply for 3 year post graduate work permit. Is this a better option for us or should I apply for a closed work permit if I am eligible? I have a full time work with NOC A. I also read in the website this
Your employer doesn’t need an LMIA to support your job offer if:
  1. you have been working full-time for the employer on your work permit for at least 1 year (or an equal amount of part-time work)
  2. you have a valid job offer, and
  3. you have a valid work permit that is exempt from an LMIA under:
    • an international agreement
    • a federal-provincial agreement
    • the “Canadian interests” category
Thanks in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi! Newbie here! Can someone please enlighten me how to apply for closed work permit. Currently, I have an open work permit with my wife as an international student. We are planning to apply for a second year program for my wife to extend our respective visas - SP and OWP and then later on apply for 3 year post graduate work permit. Is this a better option for us or should I apply for a closed work permit if I am eligible? I have a full time work with NOC A. I also read in the website this
Your employer doesn’t need an LMIA to support your job offer if:
  1. you have been working full-time for the employer on your work permit for at least 1 year (or an equal amount of part-time work)
  2. you have a valid job offer, and
  3. you have a valid work permit that is exempt from an LMIA under:
Thanks in advance!
You are quoting LMIA exemption requirements to get 50 points for a job offer for a PR app. Completely different topic to getting a closed work permit. If you want a closed work permit, your employer needs the LMIA.

tkcanada

Feb 12, 2020
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Can you please share any links I can check in terms of the process of closed work permit? Not yet sure if my company is willing to give me an LMIA since it's costly and tedious. thanks again

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Can you please share any links I can check in terms of the process of closed work permit? Not yet sure if my company is willing to give me an LMIA since it's costly and tedious. thanks again
Based on the information you've provided, your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA in order for you to qualify for a closed work permit. To qualify for a closed work permit without an LMIA, you need to meet one of the following conditions:

You have a valid work permit that is exempt from an LMIA under:
Do you meet one of these conditions?

tkcanada

Feb 12, 2020
HI Scylla, can you please explain these:
Not really sure the meaning. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

tkcanada

Feb 12, 2020
Thanks, Syclla! Appreciate your help. As per checking, I have not meet any of these requirements so I would an LMIA. Probably, Canadian Experience Class will help. Thanks again