+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit to closed work permit

rz17

Jul 13, 2019
Good day,

I have an open work permit and it will expire on sept 2019. One employer is willing to give me a job offer with supported LMIA.They are on the process of applying a closed work permit. Here's the question, does it give me an implied status while waiting for the closed work permit? I believe processing of closed work permit will take 60 to 90 days.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good day,

I have an open work permit and it will expire on sept 2019. One employer is willing to give me a job offer with supported LMIA.They are on the process of applying a closed work permit. Here's the question, does it give me an implied status while waiting for the closed work permit? I believe processing of closed work permit will take 60 to 90 days.

Thank you!
Yes - you will have implied status as long as your closed work permit application is received by IRCC before your OWP expires. You can continue working until a decision is made in the closed work permit application.

Reactions: rz17

rz17

Jul 13, 2019
Yes - you will have implied status as long as your closed work permit application is received by IRCC before your OWP expires. You can continue working until a decision is made in the closed work permit application.
Thank you . Very much appreciated.

grins.ray

Jul 16, 2019
HI Scylla,

What happens If I have a closed work permit and quit the job with the current employer. Then find a new employer who can give a LMIA. Start my application for the new LMIA and Work Permit. Can I work during the implied status?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
HI Scylla,

What happens If I have a closed work permit and quit the job with the current employer. Then find a new employer who can give a LMIA. Start my application for the new LMIA and Work Permit. Can I work during the implied status?

Thanks!
You cannot start working for the new employer until you have the new work permit. You cannot switch employers while you are waiting for the LMIA / work permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Employer received the LMIA already. Would that give me an implied status?
No - the LMIA does not give you implie status.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I am currently on a PGWP, which expires by the end of September. I've been working in a NOC B job for almost 7 months now. I have the option to change to a closed work permit with my current employer. The current processing time for work permits is 167 days. Should I...

1. Wait until my PGWP is about to expire to submit an application for the closed work permit, meaning I would be in implied status until it's approved or
2. Submit my closed work permit application right now to get the approval before my PGWP expires?

John_22

Oct 21, 2018
I am currently on a PGWP, which expires by the end of September. I've been working in a NOC B job for almost 7 months now. I have the option to change to a closed work permit with my current employer. The current processing time for work permits is 167 days. Should I...

1. Wait until my PGWP is about to expire to submit an application for the closed work permit, meaning I would be in implied status until it's approved or
2. Submit my closed work permit application right now to get the approval before my PGWP expires?
We have the same story here. Im a pgwp holder and planning to apply for a closed work permit in the future under the same employer. Can I continue working with the same employer while we wait for the closed work permit to be approved? Please update me about your situation. Thank you.

John_22

Oct 21, 2018
Employer received the LMIA already. Would that give me an implied status?
Whats the update can you tell me whats your status as of now? I’ll be planning to apply for a closed work permit in the future when my pgwp is about to expire. Thank you.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
We have the same story here. Im a pgwp holder and planning to apply for a closed work permit in the future under the same employer. Can I continue working with the same employer while we wait for the closed work permit to be approved? Please update me about your situation. Thank you.
I applied for my PGWP extension instead.

Mahajank

Oct 28, 2022
I have an open work permit until November2023. And I have already got my LMIA approval and going to apply for closed work permit. So, can I work anywhere until I get my closed work permit?
What is the processing time for this OWP to closed work permit?