+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit Spousal Sponsor question?

Gauging

Jan 2, 2020
Hi guys i plan on marrying my girlfriend this year who is CAD citizen and i am US, We plan on sponsoring me so i can live with her hopefully within the next year and a half (I heard the Sponsor application can take around a year to be approved). I just had a few questions cause i’ve seen stuff about applying for open work permit while waiting to be sponsored?
1. Is it okay if she just recently starts a new job (Possibly minimum wage job) before the process begins? I’m not sure if she has to have a job for a specific amount of time first or just needs to show she is currently working.
2. How would I apply for a Open work permit and spousal sponsorship at the same time? I saw on the site that if you wanna apply for a work permit as well then mail both forms in together? Does this mean in order to do this it has to be physically mailed in or can the forms be done online?
3. Are we allowed to start our sponsor process while I am back in the states and she’s in canada?
4. Should we really run into any problems getting denied? We are completely clean people / will be working / can prove our relationship has been real as far back as at least 3 years if needed.
5. I’ve heard that in the case of being a US citizen the process can usually be a bit faster than the usual 12 months is that true?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys i plan on marrying my girlfriend this year who is CAD citizen and i am US, We plan on sponsoring me so i can live with her hopefully within the next year and a half (I heard the Sponsor application can take around a year to be approved). I just had a few questions cause i’ve seen stuff about applying for open work permit while waiting to be sponsored?
1. Is it okay if she just recently starts a new job (Possibly minimum wage job) before the process begins? I’m not sure if she has to have a job for a specific amount of time first or just needs to show she is currently working.
2. How would I apply for a Open work permit and spousal sponsorship at the same time? I saw on the site that if you wanna apply for a work permit as well then mail both forms in together? Does this mean in order to do this it has to be physically mailed in or can the forms be done online?
3. Are we allowed to start our sponsor process while I am back in the states and she’s in canada?
4. Should we really run into any problems getting denied? We are completely clean people / will be working / can prove our relationship has been real as far back as at least 3 years if needed.
5. I’ve heard that in the case of being a US citizen the process can usually be a bit faster than the usual 12 months is that true?
You must be physically living in Canada to qualify for the open work permit. All parts of the application are mailed in.

amanda_sakura

Star Member
Mar 31, 2019
Whistler BC
1. Yes, there's no minimum income requirement for spousal, you just have to explain how you plan to support yourselves since she is responsible for you financially.
2. You can apply for an OWP only if you apply Inland which means you need to be living in Canada. It's not possible to do online, both applications (PR and OWP) must be submitted by mail.
3. If you want to do it this way you would apply Outland and you will not be eligible for a OWP.
4. No one can say - it depends on the genuineness of your relationship and the proof you have to confirm it.