+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work permit probabilities

MSCS21

Star Member
Nov 11, 2020
Hi @legalfalcon
I'm turning to you as many people give inconsistent answers.

I received my study permit PPR and I'm wondering if I should apply for sowp for my spouse (and child) now or after I get pgwp.

My spouse has been house wife for few years now. She has MBA and worked for two years before marriage. She even got an offer letter from a college for assistant professor job just before pandemic. But before joining colleges are closed.

When we consulted someone for sowp process start, they say probability of rejection is high now as she is not working, chance might increase if she gets job. I don't understand the significance of a current job with only two or three months recent start date in sowp application.

Also we don't have much properties. I see people on this forum showing crores as ties to home countries. We have enough funds for 2 years and some properties. How do we justify our intent or ties to home country.

I sincerely do not want a refusal under our belt. So I would rather wait until I get pgwp.

Can you please weigh in on this ?

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Hi @legalfalcon

I received my study permit PPR and I'm wondering if I should apply for sowp for my spouse (and child) now or after I get pgwp.

My spouse has been house wife for few years now. She has MBA and worked for two years before marriage. She even got an offer letter from a college for assistant professor job just before pandemic. But before joining colleges are closed.

When we consulted someone for sowp process start, they say probability of rejection is high now as she is not working, chance might increase if she gets job. I don't understand the significance of a current job with only two or three months recent start date in sowp application.

Also we don't have much properties. I see people on this forum showing crores as ties to home countries. We have enough funds for 2 years and some properties. How do we justify our intent or ties to home country.

I sincerely do not want a refusal under our belt. So I would rather wait until I get pgwp.

"When we consulted someone for sowp process start, they say probability of rejection is high now as she is not working, chance might increase if she gets job. I don't understand the significance of a current job with only two or three months recent start date in sowp application."

This is an incorrect statement.

However, you apply for a SOWP anytime, and it will be processed on its own merits. It has nothing to do with your study permit or your spouse not having worked for the last few years. SOWP is given based on the spouse having a status in Canada.

If you have received a study permit, you can apply for a SOWP now, or after you move to Canada. Having a property is not a prerequisite and neither required.

All an officer see is the culmination of many factors, such as your ties to your home country, which are based on your work, family, and how rooted you are, your probability to leave Canada after you finish your education.

If you want to wait until you get a PGWP, they will surely put you in a much stronger position.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi @legalfalcon

You can apply now. If you are a masters student you have a better chance of approval for your family to join you in Canada than many other students. Those applying for masters and PhDs seem to have higher acceptance rates as long as they have the extra funds to support their family in Canada. It can take quite a while to receive a response so I would start the application process asap.

Reactions: MSCS21

MSCS21

Star Member
Nov 11, 2020
You can apply now. If you are a masters student you have a better chance of approval for your family to join you in Canada than many other students. Those applying for masters and PhDs seem to have higher acceptance rates as long as they have the extra funds to support their family in Canada. It can take quite a while to receive a response so I would start the application process asap.
Thank you

MSCS21

Star Member
Nov 11, 2020
"When we consulted someone for sowp process start, they say probability of rejection is high now as she is not working, chance might increase if she gets job. I don't understand the significance of a current job with only two or three months recent start date in sowp application."

This is an incorrect statement.

However, you apply for a SOWP anytime, and it will be processed on its own merits. It has nothing to do with your study permit or your spouse not having worked for the last few years. SOWP is given based on the spouse having a status in Canada.

If you have received a study permit, you can apply for a SOWP now, or after you move to Canada. Having a property is not a prerequisite and neither required.

All an officer see is the culmination of many factors, such as your ties to your home country, which are based on your work, family, and how rooted you are, your probability to leave Canada after you finish your education.

If you want to wait until you get a PGWP, they will surely put you in a much stronger position.
Thanks a lot