+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit & Pregnancy

PiTHn

Jan 6, 2013
Hi All!

I am on Temporary Work Permit (closed) in Canada and wife has open work permit. Wife is not doing job and is pregnant. I want to know, if i lose my job before her delivery data, how it will impact her medical coverage and child's citizenship status.

Any help? Please

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as your work permit is still valid, you and your wife are legally resident and there is no problem with your health care. If however, your work permit expires, that would affect your health care.

The citizenship status of your child would not be affected. A baby born in Canada is a Canadian as long as the parents are not diplomats or UN or foreign military stationed in Canada. The parents can be foreign workers, students, tourists, refugees or even without status and the baby will still be Canadian.

PiTHn

Jan 6, 2013
Leon said:
As long as your work permit is still valid, you and your wife are legally resident and there is no problem with your health care. If however, your work permit expires, that would affect your health care.

The citizenship status of your child would not be affected. A baby born in Canada is a Canadian as long as the parents are not diplomats or UN or foreign military stationed in Canada. The parents can be foreign workers, students, tourists, refugees or even without status and the baby will still be Canadian.
Thanks Leon for quick response.

My work permit is valid untill November 2015. But if i lose job in next 2 months, because work permit is closed, that means she will not be resident and hence not eligible for medical?

lalithaditya215

Star Member
Nov 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2013
AOR Received.
Jan-07-2014
Med's Request
May-29-2014
Med's Done....
June-29-2014
Passport Req..
July-17-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Sep-02-20114
my friend has the closed work permit and he left the company because they asked him to move back to India. Still he has status in Canada and he has health card till his work permit expired.He stayed like that around 6+ months.

If you want to know more, call CIC about status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PiTHn said:
Thanks Leon for quick response.

My work permit is valid untill November 2015. But if i lose job in next 2 months, because work permit is closed, that means she will not be resident and hence not eligible for medical?
No, as long as your work permit is still valid, you can legally stay in Canada and you will still keep your health care as well as your wife.

Employer may tell you to go home but they can not legally make you and it is your right to stay in Canada as long as your work permit is valid.

You can apply for other jobs but if you find one, you need a new LMO and a new work permit. You can not start working for another employer on your existing permit.

PiTHn

Jan 6, 2013
Leon said:
No, as long as your work permit is still valid, you can legally stay in Canada and you will still keep your health care as well as your wife.

Employer may tell you to go home but they can not legally make you and it is your right to stay in Canada as long as your work permit is valid.

You can apply for other jobs but if you find one, you need a new LMO and a new work permit. You can not start working for another employer on your existing permit.
That's gem clear now. Really appreciate your guidance.