+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit (PGWP) delay

KristinaO

Aug 28, 2019
Hi everyone,

Hope someone is able to help, offer any advice or direct me anywhere, if this subject matter has gone through somewhere.

I applied for PGWP on July 4, 2019. Had to send in more documents on October 23, 2019. I was approved October 29, 2019. I was only approved for until April 22, 2020 due to my passport expiration. I got my new passport done while I was visiting my family and then send it to Canada. I got my passport in Canada in the beginning of February. I applied for a PGWP extension February 5, 2020.
Due to Covid, I lost all my work (I work in the arts so I was working on various projects and just had a waitressing job on the side) or it was indefinitely postponed, before my first visa expired. Am I understanding correctly, that since I wasn’t working when my visa expired, I cannot attain implied worker status? Without the implied worker status, legally I have 6 months after my visa expiration?

I have contacted IRCC via Webform twice now, and I just get the same automated reply that I’ve seen a lot of people getting, how there are delays, my application is in the system/in process, and asking me to be patient.

With all that being said, the delays are massive as I’ve read online countless of stories of people waiting. I was wondering, is there a way I could speed up the process? What would help? Letters from mentors/colleagues in my community? Job offer for a new project or anything? Any word of advice would be highly welcomed!
I’m getting a bit desperate and worried waiting here since I'm starting to run out of supporting funds and my lease is about to expire.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

Hope someone is able to help, offer any advice or direct me anywhere, if this subject matter has gone through somewhere.

I applied for PGWP on July 4, 2019. Had to send in more documents on October 23, 2019. I was approved October 29, 2019. I was only approved for until April 22, 2020 due to my passport expiration. I got my new passport done while I was visiting my family and then send it to Canada. I got my passport in Canada in the beginning of February. I applied for a PGWP extension February 5, 2020.
Due to Covid, I lost all my work (I work in the arts so I was working on various projects and just had a waitressing job on the side) or it was indefinitely postponed, before my first visa expired. Am I understanding correctly, that since I wasn’t working when my visa expired, I cannot attain implied worker status? Without the implied worker status, legally I have 6 months after my visa expiration?

I have contacted IRCC via Webform twice now, and I just get the same automated reply that I’ve seen a lot of people getting, how there are delays, my application is in the system/in process, and asking me to be patient.

With all that being said, the delays are massive as I’ve read online countless of stories of people waiting. I was wondering, is there a way I could speed up the process? What would help? Letters from mentors/colleagues in my community? Job offer for a new project or anything? Any word of advice would be highly welcomed!
I’m getting a bit desperate and worried waiting here since I'm starting to run out of supporting funds and my lease is about to expire.

Thank you!
Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to speed up processing.

You do in fact have implied status since you submitted your extension application before your PGWP expired and can continue working. The fact you weren't working isn't relevant.

KristinaO

Aug 28, 2019
Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to speed up processing.

You do in fact have implied status since you submitted your extension application before your PGWP expired and can continue working. The fact you weren't working isn't relevant.
Oh okay, perfect! Thanks!
But within this implied status, I can't accept new work offers, yes? Only the same positions I had before expiration?

ianrachkov

Star Member
Jun 14, 2020
Oh okay, perfect! Thanks!
But within this implied status, I can't accept new work offers, yes? Only the same positions I had before expiration?
If its an open permit I think you can accept new offers. Btw I applied the 7th february and I have no news.

callmekiis

Star Member
Jan 7, 2020
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
23-01-2021
AOR Received.
21-08-2020
Med's Done....
16-10-2020
as the experience i have (still waiting), they do not care your situation at all..