+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit on Visitor Visa

ShaileshKeskar

Oct 29, 2017
Dear All,

I have query on Open work permit. I got Canadian WP and expecting to get my and family TRV stamped in next few days. I will travel first and then my family will accompany me in next few days (spouse and kid)

My spouse is also working and she is looking for opportunity within her organization. Now my question is, can i apply for her open work permit while being in India before i travel to Canada. If this is possible then i assume that she will get her OWP when she reach Canada. Also i think after OWP approval i dont have to send her passport again to embassy since Visitor visa is already there. And would she be able to continue with her existing organization on similar OPW.

Regards
Shailesh Keskar

Manoj Odatt

Dec 3, 2017
Hello shailesh,

I am also stuck in the same situation. Kindly let me know if you have an update.

Manoj Mohan

ShaileshKeskar

Oct 29, 2017
Hello shailesh,

I am also stuck in the same situation. Kindly let me know if you have an update.

Manoj Mohan
No response from forum but i have spoken to some of my contact and it seems that OWP can only be applied after you reach Canada and have your WP with you. The reason i understand is OWP will be linked with WP and hence it can only be applied once you have your WP start date and end date

vel

Feb 9, 2013
Dear All,

I have query on Open work permit. I got Canadian WP and expecting to get my and family TRV stamped in next few days. I will travel first and then my family will accompany me in next few days (spouse and kid)

My spouse is also working and she is looking for opportunity within her organization. Now my question is, can i apply for her open work permit while being in India before i travel to Canada. If this is possible then i assume that she will get her OWP when she reach Canada. Also i think after OWP approval i dont have to send her passport again to embassy since Visitor visa is already there. And would she be able to continue with her existing organization on similar OPW.

Regards
Shailesh Keskar
While you were applying for a WP, you should have applied for Open Work Permit for your spouse.

I guess that is not the case right now. I think you were holding a WP and your spouse is holding a TRV. In that you can easily convert that in to a OWP after landing in Canada.

If you are going to apply right now, then i think the processing time is almost 2-4 months(in some cases i see the SOWP is getting processed in 5-6 weeks). So instead of applying for SOWP and waiting here in India, she can travel with you and then convert the TRV in to a SOWP.

ShaileshKeskar

Oct 29, 2017
While you were applying for a WP, you should have applied for Open Work Permit for your spouse.

I guess that is not the case right now. I think you were holding a WP and your spouse is holding a TRV. In that you can easily convert that in to a OWP after landing in Canada.

If you are going to apply right now, then i think the processing time is almost 2-4 months(in some cases i see the SOWP is getting processed in 5-6 weeks). So instead of applying for SOWP and waiting here in India, she can travel with you and then convert the TRV in to a SOWP.
Hi Vel,

Many thanks for your response.

I will be travelling to Canada in month or so that too alone and then my spouse will accompany after month so she is here in India for next 2-3 months and i am want to utilize this time. She is skilled worker and hence i am expecting to get OWP in months time. Also i am not sure whether again i have to submit my spouse passport after getting OWP approval since TRV is already done for her?

I have been told that i can only apply after landing in Canada so just wanted to confirm whether i can apply it from India based on my TRV and WP approval letter that i have from IRCC. Also can i travel to Canada in between while her application is in progress

vel

Feb 9, 2013
Hi Vel,

Many thanks for your response.

I will be travelling to Canada in month or so that too alone and then my spouse will accompany after month so she is here in India for next 2-3 months and i am want to utilize this time. She is skilled worker and hence i am expecting to get OWP in months time. Also i am not sure whether again i have to submit my spouse passport after getting OWP approval since TRV is already done for her?

I have been told that i can only apply after landing in Canada so just wanted to confirm whether i can apply it from India based on my TRV and WP approval letter that i have from IRCC. Also can i travel to Canada in between while her application is in progress
I guess, once you reached Canada, you can start a SOWP online application in CIC for your wife. So while your wife is in India, her SOWP application will be already in process. You will also specify that your spouse have already got a TRV and now she only need a OWP in the SOWP online application. In this case I don't think she need to submit the passport.

when we were in Canada, we were applying for Visitor visa to extend our stay and in that case we didn't submit our passport. We got all our permits in a mail.

yep, you can travel back and forth since yours will be a multi entry visa.

manojk141

Jun 13, 2014
punjab
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I guess, once you reached Canada, you can start a SOWP online application in CIC for your wife. So while your wife is in India, her SOWP application will be already in process. You will also specify that your spouse have already got a TRV and now she only need a OWP in the SOWP online application. In this case I don't think she need to submit the passport.

when we were in Canada, we were applying for Visitor visa to extend our stay and in that case we didn't submit our passport. We got all our permits in a mail.

yep, you can travel back and forth since yours will be a multi entry visa.

manojk141

Jun 13, 2014
punjab
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi everyone,
I have a business visitor visa, kindly advise if & how can i get an open work permit if i travel to canada. ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You do not qualify for an open work permit.

Sanika Thorat

Sep 24, 2018
Dear All,

Regards
Shailesh Keskar
Hi Shailesh, I am into same situation, can you please guide me .My husband is on WP and is in Toronto from July 2018 , I am in IT here in India and I am having TRV which my husband's organization applied while applying his WP . As I am eligible for open work permit , we applied for sowp from India on 28th July , now we are confused , can I travell to Canada while my sowp application is in progress in India , will I be able to receive my owp in Canada for the application I applied from India or I will have to reapply if I travel before I get the owp from India? Also would I need to resubmit my passport if I stay back in India to complete my ongoing application? Please advise what would be better way ? Stay back until my application gets processed or travell to Canada and re apply new owp or I can collect my India submitted owp in Canada anytime .
Appreciate your kind help!
Sanika

BrasilCan

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
AOR Received.
03-08-2018
Hello,

Can an australian with an ETA (Does not require TRV exempt country) apply for an open work permit?
According to CIC it is classified as one of the ways to become eligible, but I am wondering if anyone has tried it?