+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

open work permit, health insurance

Luuk_93lut

Sep 19, 2018
Hey everyone,

I'm just browsing and exploring options to apply for an open work permit under the working holiday program. So far I got most of it down but i'm confused about one thing and I can't seem to figure it out. Lets say I would get approved for an open work permit, then I need to use said work permit within a year. This work permit then becomes valid for a full year starting at the moment that I enter Canada, unless:

1) My passport has a shorter time of being valid, or
2) My health insurance is valid for shorter then 12 months

My passport is valid till 2027 so no problem there:) But my question right now is the health insurance part. To sketch an idea of the situation: I'm from the Netherlands and have Dutch health insurance that can help me cover world wide if anything happens. Yet, I want to visit Canada (Ontario) to travel around and work in different places sometime next year. I don't know what kind of job I will be doing, I do not know how long I will stay at said future job, hence the open work permit within this program is perfect. I'm going to work nonetheless to provide me with some money during my probable 1 year stay. I just want to be sure to be insured for a full 12 months to make the most of the open work permit, so is my Dutch health insurance enough because somehow I got the feeling that I need Canadian health insurance since i'm planning on working in Canada within that 1 year period.

If so and I do need Canadian health insurance, is it possible to get one for a 12 month period and arrange this before arrival? Do I need any special personal identification numbers for this? I'm a bit worried about this because as stated on the govermental site of Canada "have health insurance for the duration of your stay—you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada)." So it seems to be that you need to arrange this beforehand, and it would really be a bummer if an open work permit that is valid for a year then gets withdrawn because I didn't have my health insurrance in check.

Anyways, thanks for any answers in advance,

Kind regards,

Luuk