+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit From within India

shilpachowdhri

May 1, 2012
Hi All,

Can Any one help me with this.

1. I have a Visitors Visa with me . My husband is in CANADA and I am currently in India. i wish to apply for open work permit from within India. Can I do so. Also, which will be better option to get in from India or from Canada. I want to be sure of WP before I leave india.

2. Can any one let me know more informatin on ICT( Intra Company Transfer). How long will this process takes and does it need LMO.

3. If i apply for WP from India and this gets approved. Can i still work as Intra Transfer employee if my current employer agrees.

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your husband is on a work permit in Canada and his job is skill level O, A or B or he is a student in Canada, you an apply for an open work permit based on his permit. If you get it, you may work for your employer branch in Canada or anywhere else that you like. That is the good thing about an open permit, you can work for any employer. You can apply for this permit in India if you want to.

If your husband is not on a skilled work permit in Canada and you want to try for the intra-company transfer work permit, you should talk to your employer about what kind of position they can offer you in Canada and with their help, you can apply for that work permit. You can see http://www.canadaworkvisa.ca/info/ict.php for a bit of information on the requirements.

shilpachowdhri

May 1, 2012
Thanks for quick response!
1. I wish to apply for WP from within in India so that I can convince my employer for ICT. But heard that chances of rejection of WP frm within India is more. If WP gets rejected can I reapply again . How long I have to wait for reapplying within India or Canada.
How long does it takes to get the WP.

2. Still need your response for does ICT requires LMO. How long does ICT process and WP takes.

3. Can You suggest any agent to verify the Open WP forms and provide some assistance.

Thanks
Shilpa

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shilpachowdhri said:
1. I wish to apply for WP from within in India so that I can convince my employer for ICT. But heard that chances of rejection of WP frm within India is more. If WP gets rejected can I reapply again . How long I have to wait for reapplying within India or Canada.
How long does it takes to get the WP.

2. Still need your response for does ICT requires LMO. How long does ICT process and WP takes.

3. Can You suggest any agent to verify the Open WP forms and provide some assistance.
1. Possibly for spousal work permit. You still need to prove you don't intend to overstay but I believe intra company transfer are usually applied for from outside Canada. Why would a company pay to re-settle an employee before knowing if he or she gets the work permit?

2. ICT does not require LMO but you must show you have worked for this employer for a certain amount of time, have special knowledge about the job, are taking a similar position in Canada. Processing time around 2 months, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/workers.asp#asia

3. You don't need an agent but if you must, you can hire the lawyer who runs this forum. You know they will not cheat you. Not all consultants know what they are doing. Hiring a bad one is worse than doing it yourself.

shilpachowdhri

May 1, 2012
Few more related questions:-

1. I hold a valid visitors visa. If my current company makes me travel on Business Visa to canada. Will my visitors visa will still be valid.

2. If yes, Will I be eligible to apply for open work permit from canada considering my visitors visa is valid from within Canada. Meaning can i convert my Business Visa to open work permit from canada.

Awaiting response....

Thanks
Shilpa

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shilpachowdhri said:
Few more related questions:-

1. I hold a valid visitors visa. If my current company makes me travel on Business Visa to canada. Will my visitors visa will still be valid.

2. If yes, Will I be eligible to apply for open work permit from canada considering my visitors visa is valid from within Canada. Meaning can i convert my Business Visa to open work permit from canada.
1. You do not need a special visitors visa to travel to Canada on business but if you are planning to stay and work, you will need a work permit. If you have a multiple entry visitor visa, it should stay valid even if you get an intra company transfer work permit.

2. Yes, you can apply for an open work permit based on your spouses permit if your spouse is on a skilled permit or a student.

However, why bother apply for an intra company transfer work permit first and then open spousal? Why not apply for spousal right away? For both work permits, they will check the same thing, that is that you are not a risk to overstay. If they gave you a multiple entry visit visa, they probably do not consider you a high risk to overstay.

krithika

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
Hi Shilpa,

Any idea how much time will it take to get a spousal work permit ?

And also is that alone is enough to stay with my husband in canada or do i have to apply for any dependant visa ?

Thanks.

shilpachowdhri

May 1, 2012
Hi Leon,

I am now in Canada and applied for Open Spousal WP on 2nd Dec. Do you have any idea how long will this take to come as I am not able to check the status online.

Thanks
Shilpa

Leon said:
1. You do not need a special visitors visa to travel to Canada on business but if you are planning to stay and work, you will need a work permit. If you have a multiple entry visitor visa, it should stay valid even if you get an intra company transfer work permit.

2. Yes, you can apply for an open work permit based on your spouses permit if your spouse is on a skilled permit or a student.

However, why bother apply for an intra company transfer work permit first and then open spousal? Why not apply for spousal right away? For both work permits, they will check the same thing, that is that you are not a risk to overstay. If they gave you a multiple entry visit visa, they probably do not consider you a high risk to overstay.

mrp1986

Star Member
Mar 31, 2011
Krithika,

Did u apply for WP or not yet?

If yes, then how did u apply and what docs did u submitted?

ATS2012

Star Member
Dec 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4-12-2012
AOR Received.
31-01-2013
Med's Request
31-01-2013
Med's Done....
01-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
In God's time.
LANDED..........
IF GOD'S WILL, SOON...............
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)
CHEERS EVERY ONE!
WELCOME 2013!!!!!

Jun 3, 2013
My husband is working in Canada on a 3 year Post Graduate Work permit.
I wanted to join him there and work there as well, so have the following question:-

Can I apply for an open work permit online through the CIC website? I filled the questionnaire online and it confirmed that I am eligible to apply, however I am unsure about how I will apply for a visa once I get the work permit?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Monisha Bhattacharya said:
My husband is working in Canada on a 3 year Post Graduate Work permit.
I wanted to join him there and work there as well, so have the following question:-

Can I apply for an open work permit online through the CIC website? I filled the questionnaire online and it confirmed that I am eligible to apply, however I am unsure about how I will apply for a visa once I get the work permit?
If you apply for a work permit, you are normally granted a multiple entry visa automatically.

Mar 17, 2018
Hello Sir/Mam,
My name is Mohammad Qasim from India, I want to work in Canada but, I don't have any job offer from Canadian Employer yet, then should I apply for an open work permit from Canadian Embassy in my country or apply for a visit or tourist visa and go to Canada and then search the job ?? Is it possible to

Aug 12, 2017
Hello,

I am willing to apply for an open work permit within Canada.

I have multiple entry visitor visa valid till 2025
Education Qualification : Masters in Computer Science NOC 2172;
Experience: 5 years
My Brother is a Permanent Resident of Canada, working with a reputed Financial organization since past 8 months.
my Age is 28 years.

Am I eligible to apply for Open Work Permit within Canada as a Visitor from India while I am in canada?
during this time i will be visiting Canada for 2 months duration and staying along with my brother.

Request you to reply my query.