+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit from inside Canada(without going at the border)

Ng94

Dec 14, 2022
Hi everyone,
I’m currently in Canada and I applied for open work permit which was approved. Now I have to get my work permit but I need to know if is any other way to get it without going at the border?
My friend got his Work permit at the border and they said you can apply online to get it without going at the border but we don’t have any other information.
if anyone can give me any other information or send me any link I would be very grateful.

As12

Star Member
Sep 1, 2021
It should be mailed to your Canada address as far as I know you don’t need to go border

sudubey

Star Member
Jun 29, 2015
Hi everyone,
I’m currently in Canada and I applied for open work permit which was approved. Now I have to get my work permit but I need to know if is any other way to get it without going at the border?
My friend got his Work permit at the border and they said you can apply online to get it without going at the border but we don’t have any other information.
if anyone can give me any other information or send me any link I would be very grateful.
When u applied?

chem14

Star Member
Jul 12, 2015
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
10 May 2016
AOR Received.
03 Feb 2016
Med's Done....
08 Feb 2016
Passport Req..
03 June 2016
LANDED..........
16-10-2016
Hi everyone,
Hello,

Just wanted to ask how did you apply for open work permit, I have a brother who is currently here in Canada as tourist and wanted to know what are the steps in applying for work permit.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello,

Just wanted to ask how did you apply for open work permit, I have a brother who is currently here in Canada as tourist and wanted to know what are the steps in applying for work permit.
And why would they be eligible for an open work permit ?
Example ; if one is a student , and follow the rules , goes to a recognized institution they may be issued a time limited pgwp / open work permit .
That’s just one example

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

He is not eligible for an OWP unless his spouse is in Canada and studying or working. Or he was a student in Canada and eligible for a PGWP.

Does he have a job offer with an approved LMIA? He needs that to apply for a closed work permit. Assume he has ECA and IELTS completed to show that he is experience to do the job.

chem14

Star Member
Jul 12, 2015
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
10 May 2016
AOR Received.
03 Feb 2016
Med's Done....
08 Feb 2016
Passport Req..
03 June 2016
LANDED..........
16-10-2016
He is not eligible for an OWP unless his spouse is in Canada and studying or working. Or he was a student in Canada and eligible for a PGWP.

Does he have a job offer with an approved LMIA? He needs that to apply for a closed work permit. Assume he has ECA and IELTS completed to show that he is experience to do the job.
Thank you for your reply, so the employer should have an approved LMIA first before he can apply for closed work permit? And in applying the permit, is the ECA and IELTS is really a requirements?

chem14

Star Member
Jul 12, 2015
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
10 May 2016
AOR Received.
03 Feb 2016
Med's Done....
08 Feb 2016
Passport Req..
03 June 2016
LANDED..........
16-10-2016
And why would they be eligible for an open work permit ?
Example ; if one is a student , and follow the rules , goes to a recognized institution they may be issued a time limited pgwp / open work permit .
That’s just one example
@Copingwithlife , thank you for your reply. I don't know what is the requirement really is, I don't know that OWP is not allowed for tourist.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your reply, so the employer should have an approved LMIA first before he can apply for closed work permit? And in applying the permit, is the ECA and IELTS is really a requirements?
He is not eligible for a closed work permit if he doesn’t have an approved LMIA. The whole point of the LMIA is to prove no Canadian or PR can do the job. So he needs to show that he is the only one experienced through reference letters and maybe ECA (depends on the NOC) and IELTS (depends on NOC and if working with the public). Will need a medical too.

chem14

Star Member
Jul 12, 2015
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
10 May 2016
AOR Received.
03 Feb 2016
Med's Done....
08 Feb 2016
Passport Req..
03 June 2016
LANDED..........
16-10-2016
He is not eligible for a closed work permit if he doesn’t have an approved LMIA. The whole point of the LMIA is to prove no Canadian or PR can do the job. So he needs to show that he is the only one experienced through reference letters and maybe ECA (depends on the NOC) and IELTS (depends on NOC and if working with the public). Will need a medical too.
Thank you, he will be a general labourer for grain facility, will this requires ECA and IELTS?

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I'm about to apply for PGWP extension. Is it a good idea to apply by paper, which apparently has a shorter processing time? I've never applied by paper. Canada's website says

Work permit from inside Canada (initial and extension)
Online: 141 days
Paper: 34 days

Sounds like a good idea, but two weeks ago paper application was like 10 days. So it concerns me that they're now taking longer and that's why the average is going up.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I'm about to apply for PGWP extension. Is it a good idea to apply by paper, which apparently has a shorter processing time? I've never applied by paper. Canada's website says

Sounds like a good idea, but two weeks ago paper application was like 10 days. So it concerns me that they're now taking longer and that's why the average is going up.

Do you meet the criteria for applying by paper? Paper is only for certain circumstances like being disabled and not being able to send in online. So if you send by paper and were not eligible then it may take as long as online. People here on the forum applied by paper because of short processing times and waited many months.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
Do you meet the criteria for applying by paper? Paper is only for certain circumstances like being disabled and not being able to send in online. So if you send by paper and were not eligible then it may take as long as online. People here on the forum applied by paper because of short processing times and waited many months.
I had no idea about this, I had heard of people who applied by paper to take advantage of the shorter processing times. Didn't know that it was for specific situations.

That answers my question, online it'll be. Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Don’t believe the posted processing times. Probably so low because nobody applies.