+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit for Spouse (Philippines)

FordBryan

Aug 13, 2014
Dear All:

I would like to ask for your advice:

My wife went to Squamish, BC last April 2014 as a Temporary Worker (with working visa valid up to 2 years) and since I am also employed or has a job in our home country (Philippines), I did not joined her TFW (Temporary Foreign Worker) application. Although I noticed in her application that there is a box to be marked if the spouse "will be accompanying" the applicant, and we ticked-mark "not accompanying".

With that, I am thinking that if I will be applying for an Open Work Permit (as my wife's derivative), would that taint my OWP application? As originally, I did not joined my wife's TFW application. I have now thought that I should have joined her application by submitting the application form together (TFW for my wife and OWP for me). Although, I can not go back to that moment and my only choice is to apply for my own OWP.

In addition to the information given, I have also applied for a Visitor's Visa (TRV) last June 2014 and I was refused based on ties. To give more information, my wife went to Canada as a TFW last April 2014, and we were married May 2011 (been married for more than 3 years), still has no kids/dependents, and I am currently employed here in our home country (Philippines).

Now, I am thinking that aside from the fact that I was refused for a TRV (my plan was to visit her, but it looks like I would not be able to do so, which resulted in my thinking that in order to join my wife, I should then have my OWP).

Given that I have been refused a TRV (based on ties), what do you suggest I do to make my OWP application stronger? What kind of document or letter should I include to make it stronger?

Thank you for taking time reading my letter.

PS: If I have new info, I will post it here so it can also help others.

Thanks guys.

amira_mais

Aug 18, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There does seem to be a certain arbitrariness about who gets TRVs and who gets SOWPs. For what it's worth, there have been people on this forum who were denied TRVs, then successfully applied for SOWPs with no trouble and no extra effort. I can't give you specific advice about what extra documents to include in a SOWP application to prove ties to your home country - perhaps others can - but at least don't be afraid to apply.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@FordBryan....

You may want to post your question here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/for-pinoys-spousal-open-work-permit-to-canada-share-tayo-t70481.0.html

Some of them can share their experiences....

.../atb

FordBryan

Aug 13, 2014
Thank you amira_mais and ragluf for your replies and for taking time reading my post. I will follow your advices.

To everyone out there, please feel free to share your experiences. When I got any other information, I will also post it here so anyone can see it too.

Thanks guys.

FordBryan

Aug 13, 2014
Hi:

She is working as a Food Service Supervisor. And I am not sure if it falls under NOC 0 - 0631 or NOC B - 6311. Beucase looking at the matrix is somehow confusing.

But I believe NOC codes 0, A & B were all qualified for OWP for their spouses. With this, I would also like to ask since my TRV app has been refused a month ago & I am now planning to join my Spouse who has a Foreign Worker status & I am considering to apply under the OWP Program. "Is there a proper time frame when to submit an OWP application after a TRV has been refused? or does it matter when?

Thanks.