+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit for my wife ! TOO FEW documents are required !

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
Hi everyone ,

Currently I'm on Post Graduate Work Permit. I did my Master's at McGill University and was graduated in 2013. I started my job 3 weeks ago as a Software Developer in Vancouver. me and my wife were in relationship for 6.5 years and we married in August 2014. I'm paid well.

I want to apply for her visa so she can come here to Canada and join me. I haven't applied for PR yet. I heard there are two ways to apply for her visa :

1.Visitor visa : which I heard is very risky and most of the time doesn't work.
2.Open work permit with Temporary resident visa

QUESTION 1: Is it a right decision to apply open work permit for her ? Is it the type that should be usually applied ?

I'm applying for the second one for my wife. I filled the eligiblity form online and I answered to all the question :

What would you like to do in Canada?
Work

How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily - more than 6 months

Do you have a written offer from an employer in Canada?
No

Will you be coming to Canada with a spouse or common-law partner who is, or will be, working in Canada as a temporary worker or who is, or will be, a full-time student at a university, community college, CEGEP or other authorized educational institution?
Yes

Are you of working age, and a dependent of a person who is (or will be)
o working in Canada, or
o a full-time student at a designated learning institution?
Yes

What type of work permit do you want to apply for?
A work permit for a spouse, common-law partner or child of a skilled worker or international student

Are you accompanying a family member that has status in Canada, or has recently been approved to come to Canada?
Yes

Now that I want to upload our documents on CIC website, I have a document checklist which I believe lacks a lot of things !

It requires us to upload these documents :

1.Digital Photo
2.Copy of Passport
3.Proof of relationship

Optional :
1.Schedule 1
2.Letter of explanation

I thought that I have to provide some documents about ties back our country, her work experience and education, my employment letter, my work permit and visa and financial abilities and lots of other documents. But they are not required !!! and I don't know where to upload them !

I'm getting nervous that I'm doing something wrong or I have to apply another type of visa for her.

I would appreciate your help if you could help me.

rashi123

Nov 24, 2014
Hey there!

I was in the same situation and did exactly as per the checklist but my visitor visa got rejected. I think you need to submit following documents with your application even though they are not mentioned. I'm applying for OWP tomorrow and has following documents attached with my application..

- Marriage Certificate
- Wedding Invitation Card (if possible)
- Pics from the Wedding (Pre-wedding/Post-wedding) to show your relationship is legitimate and genuine.
- Enough ties from home country, any property documents on your wife's name or anything that can prove that she would be coming back to India eventually
- Her Education documents (transcripts, degrees etc.)
- Her employment details (experience letter, salary slips etc.)
- Enough funds in your account and your wife's account
- Invitation Letter from your side
- Your documents (pay stubs, Assessments, employment letter, your passport, your current status)
- Cover Letter to be written by your wife with details about herself, you (her spouse) and her purpose of visit and financial support

It seems like you are applying online. Best way is to merge all the documents together (try this SodaPdf 7 trial version valid for 7 days I guess) and then reduce the size of the pdf using some online utility/software..

Good Luck!

persianguy

Star Member
Aug 18, 2013
Thanks for replying ,

Actually my wife did biometrics few days ago and I sent the following documents :

1. Purpose of travel
2. My husband's Invitation letter
3. University degree
4. Employment letter
5. My husband’s work permit
6. My husband’s master’s degree
7. My husband’s employment letter
8. My husband’s bank statement
9. My husband’s paystub
10. Police certificate
11. Property title deed
12. Expertness report which describes and states the worth of the property that I provided its title deed
13. Previous passport stamped and marked pages
14. Family information form

Don't forget the family information form !

Let me know the results if you get it sooner than me ,

Best of lucj

kjg09

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
persianguy said:
Thanks for replying ,

Actually my wife did biometrics few days ago and I sent the following documents :

1. Purpose of travel
2. My husband's Invitation letter
3. University degree
4. Employment letter
5. My husband's work permit
6. My husband's master's degree
7. My husband's employment letter
8. My husband's bank statement
9. My husband's paystub
10. Police certificate
11. Property title deed
12. Expertness report which describes and states the worth of the property that I provided its title deed
13. Previous passport stamped and marked pages
14. Family information form

Don't forget the family information form !

Let me know the results if you get it sooner than me ,

Best of lucj
hi lucj, where did you attached those additional documents? tnx

sharelp

Star Member
Mar 17, 2018
I have received COPR and want my spouse to join me for a month or so while i settle down, can i get a OWP for him? the documents check list is very short compared to visitor visa