+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit for my spouse

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
Hi,

My wife and I are sending in an application for her PR. She is an American citizen, I am a Canadian citizen, and she is in Canada while we fill out her application. She has to go back to the United States for a while and will return once her application is hopefully approved (we are doing outland).

What we are confused about is what Work Permit she should apply for. When we click on "Open Work Permit", the questions are very specific about where she will be working. She doesn't know where she will work when she returns to Canada. Is she to leave these boxes blank or n/a?

We are also wondering if my wife should use "within Canada" option to apply or the "Outside Canada" option, as technically she is in Canada at the time of applying for the work permit.

Thank you for the advice!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

My wife and I are sending in an application for her PR. She is an American citizen, I am a Canadian citizen, and she is in Canada while we fill out her application. She has to go back to the United States for a while and will return once her application is hopefully approved (we are doing outland).

What we are confused about is what Work Permit she should apply for. When we click on "Open Work Permit", the questions are very specific about where she will be working. She doesn't know where she will work when she returns to Canada. Is she to leave these boxes blank or n/a?

We are also wondering if my wife should use "within Canada" option to apply or the "Outside Canada" option, as technically she is in Canada at the time of applying for the work permit.

Thank you for the advice!
She doesn't qualify for a work permit if you are applying outland.

If she wants to qualify for a work permit, you need to be submitting an inland spousal sponsorship application and she must have plans to remain in Canada while the application is processed (and inland application requires that you cohabitate together in Canada while the application is processed).

tubular35

Nov 12, 2019
She doesn't qualify for a work permit if you are applying outland.

If she wants to qualify for a work permit, you need to be submitting an inland spousal sponsorship application and she must have plans to remain in Canada while the application is processed (and inland application requires that you cohabitate together in Canada while the application is processed).

I guess even they submit inland spousal sponsorhip, if the spouse has a valid trv they can travel abroad for a short trips while the application is processed