+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit for husband

SukhmaniKaur23

Apr 14, 2020
I am a canadian PR holder and my Fiance is currently in India. We will be applying for his PR once we get married. I know for a fact that spousal PR process time is more than 10 months. However during that time will he still be able to come to canada on an open work permit? Can we apply for his PR and Open work permit both at the same time after marriage? Since I know work permit processing times are way lower than PR processing times.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a canadian PR holder and my Fiance is currently in India. We will be applying for his PR once we get married. I know for a fact that spousal PR process time is more than 10 months. However during that time will he still be able to come to canada on an open work permit? Can we apply for his PR and Open work permit both at the same time after marriage? Since I know work permit processing times are way lower than PR processing times.
He will only qualify for an open work permit if he comes to Canada on a TRV and then you sponsor him from within Canada (inland process) and include an open work permit with the inland sponsorship application. If you sponsor him and he is in Inida, he will not qualify for an open work permit.

SukhmaniKaur23

Apr 14, 2020
He will only qualify for an open work permit if he comes to Canada on a TRV and then you sponsor him from within Canada (inland process) and include an open work permit with the inland sponsorship application. If you sponsor him and he is in Inida, he will not qualify for an open work permit.
So will he have to stay in Canada till the time he receives the permit? Can you provide me a link to some website that can help me look at the entire process? Also side by side I will be able to apply for his PR application right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So will he have to stay in Canada till the time he receives the permit? Can you provide me a link to some website that can help me look at the entire process? Also side by side I will be able to apply for his PR application right?
You must both be in Canada in order for him to qualify for the open work permit. You must submit the inland spousal sponsorship application along with the OWP application. You cannot apply just for the open work permit. Yes, he must remain in Canada while the application is processed. It will take 4-5 months from the time the complete application is submitted to get the open work permit approved.

More information here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

Vips1410

Star Member
Mar 8, 2021
I have one question I have applied my asylum case in 2019 but in 2021 I got married with my gf she is Canadian Pr my current work permit is expiring in sep 2021 do I need to apply another work permit with my spousal application or later please shed some light we are very confused and also shall I wait for my refugees case or listen my wife she wants to apply my spousal sponsor relationship thanks