+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit for Cubans in Canada

Helphelphelp

Jul 30, 2019
Hi!
I am trying to help some people apply for an open work permit extension. Unfortunately, some of the questions on the form do not apply. They do not have passports (they're from Cuba), so they can't fill out that information on the form. This means that they cannot validate the form, so it will probably not go well when they send it for processing. Also, the IRCC computer system is glitching so they have to apply on paper - despite the fact that the IRCC keeps insisting that they apply online. What do I do?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!
I am trying to help some people apply for an open work permit extension. Unfortunately, some of the questions on the form do not apply. They do not have passports (they're from Cuba), so they can't fill out that information on the form. This means that they cannot validate the form, so it will probably not go well when they send it for processing. Also, the IRCC computer system is glitching so they have to apply on paper - despite the fact that the IRCC keeps insisting that they apply online. What do I do?
We can't help you without more information.

On what basis are they applying from open work permit extensions?

Helphelphelp

Jul 30, 2019
The basis of their application is complicated. Cubans who spend more than two years away from Cuba lose their residency and, in some cases, their citizenship. They are not usually eligible for any other kind of status in Canada and so, in the absence of any other possible legal status in either country, they apply for open work permit extensions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The basis of their application is complicated. Cubans who spend more than two years away from Cuba lose their residency and, in some cases, their citizenship. They are not usually eligible for any other kind of status in Canada and so, in the absence of any other possible legal status in either country, they apply for open work permit extensions.
Open work permits are only available in some very specific circumstances. They don’t seem to fit those requirements.

Helphelphelp

Jul 30, 2019
The open work permits are usually only available in specific circumstances, but all the Cubans I know have these kinds of perpetually-renewed open work permits.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Having personally seen several of them, I can say that they are definitely open work permits.
Do they have spouses who are student or skilled workers? Are they being sponsored by a spouse? Other than that there aren’t a ton of reasons why they would have open work permits.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, none of the above. They are essentially stateless and ineligible for refugee status.
That isn’t something other Cubans will be able to apply for. They have been rejected for asylum but Canada is unable to deport them so they are in a form of limbo and they are currently able to work. If/when they are able to be deported they will be. They aren’t stateless if they are Cuban.

Helphelphelp

Jul 30, 2019
How do I apply without hardly any of the requirements - personal history, passport, validated form, online application, etc.?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How do I apply without hardly any of the requirements - personal history, passport, validated form, online application, etc.?
How do they not have a personal history? Why can’t they apply online? They will have to apply based on the information they have and will have to explain the missed information. Do they have an expired passport?