+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit - flagpolling?

EUtoCA

Sep 1, 2021
Hi there!

This week my application for an Open Work Permit was approved. As my partner was already in Canada (she started working in September), I travelled to Canada mid October so we could be together. Currently I am in Canada on a tourist visa.

When I read the Q&A on the IRCC website I should: (Link: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=941&top=25)

If you are in Canada when you receive your POE Letter, you must:
  • leave the country, and
  • re-enter at any port of entry to receive your work permit.

On the website of the border crossing there is only information related to people that reside in Canada with a valid status (Tourist visa is not mentioned) that want to apply for an extension. So in my case, I am not applying since I am already approved. (Link: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/settle-setablir-eng.html)

My question is: can I just rent a car and drive to the border crossing at Niagara, turn around and enter Canada again presenting the PoE letter?

Thanks in advance!
Matthias

EUtoCA

Sep 1, 2021
I couldn't find any useful information related to my specific situation online or on this forum. If I posted in the wrong section, my apologies!

Btw, all the information on flagpoling is related to people that want to renew their work permit. Where in my situation, I do not want to apply (as I already have an approved application) and I also do not want to renew (as I do not have a previous one). Can I do the flagpoling or should I leave Canada e.g. for a weekend abroad in the US?

Last edited:

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
I couldn't find any useful information related to my specific situation online or on this forum. If I posted in the wrong section, my apologies!

Btw, all the information on flagpoling is related to people that want to renew their work permit. Where in my situation, I do not want to apply (as I already have an approved application) and I also do not want to renew (as I do not have a previous one). Can I do the flagpoling or should I leave Canada e.g. for a weekend abroad in the US?
My understanding from talking with CBSA is that this is entirely standard-so flagpoling or visiting the States is acceptable, as you're essentially just activating your work permit. HOWEVER, as a non-Canadian citizen, you're not exempt from the 72 hour cross border pass, and would need a Covid test, UNLESS you flagpole, because flagpoling gives you the little fancy piece of paper from the US that says you didn't actually enter. Call CBSA, they'll talk with you, unlike IRCC.

Rockologist

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
Have you done your flagpoling?
I did. Everything went fine, went around 10 am. A few officers were cranky but the one processing my paperwork was very cordial. Allin all, whole thing took around an hour and a half, due to high border traffic.

EUtoCA

Sep 1, 2021
This week I drove to the border, left Canada and stayed in the United States for a bit. Then I returned to Canada and presented my PoE letter. They processed it and I received the work permit.

Make sure you meet all the requirements to enter the USA (ESTA, I94, covid-test, etc) and meet all the requirements to enter Canada (documents, covid-tests, etc).