+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit extension

AnjaliA

Mar 13, 2016
Hi !

I got my PGWP approved for 3 years i.e. till 2020. I completed my masters from university in 1 year. My spouse got his open work permit valid till my study permit expires i.e., till 31st Aug, 2018.

Now my spouse needs to extend his open work permit based on my PGWP. But we are confused because CIC gives 2 options - work permit extension (new employer) and work permit extension (same employer). Under which category he needs to apply because its not employer specific. And that he needs extension on his current open work permit. Is he likely to get it extended till 2020 same as my PGWP?

Kindly guide.

Regards,

Anjali

Reactions: Miracle2018

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi !

I got my PGWP approved for 3 years i.e. till 2020. I completed my masters from university in 1 year. My spouse got his open work permit valid till my study permit expires i.e., till 31st Aug, 2018.

Now my spouse needs to extend his open work permit based on my PGWP. But we are confused because CIC gives 2 options - work permit extension (new employer) and work permit extension (same employer). Under which category he needs to apply because its not employer specific. And that he needs extension on his current open work permit. Is he likely to get it extended till 2020 same as my PGWP?

Kindly guide.

Regards,

Anjali
Hi

Note that he can only apply for an extension if you have a NOC A, B or 0 job.

Select "new employer". He should be approved for the same duration as you.

starh

Apr 29, 2018
Hi,
I have a question and really appreciate if someone can help me. I came to Canada with an open work permit as a dependent of my spouse and without any job offers two years ago and some months after coming to Canada, I could find a job and it is more than one year that I am working for that company. Now I want to extend my open work permit but I do not know how should I answer the question 3 on the form 5710. I do not know if I should choose "A work permit with the same employer" OR "An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer"?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I have a question and really appreciate if someone can help me. I came to Canada with an open work permit as a dependent of my spouse and without any job offers two years ago and some months after coming to Canada, I could find a job and it is more than one year that I am working for that company. Now I want to extend my open work permit but I do not know how should I answer the question 3 on the form 5710. I do not know if I should choose "A work permit with the same employer" OR "An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer"?
How do you qualify for an extension?

SindhujaG

Star Member
May 21, 2019
My work permit is expiring by March end and I have started process to extend it. I have already applied for my Spouse's Open WP with my existing WP and it is under process and by the time he gets his Visa, it will be March starting week. Now, until when will his VISA be valid - standard 6 months or only until my current Visa (ie: March end)? Will he be able to travel to Canada with that Visa? Should I re-apply for him or extend it (he is outside Canada, I am in Canada)?