+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit extension

ashvanth48

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Me and my wife came to Canada last September. I came for doing a 1 year Master's program and got a study permit which is valid till November 2015. My wife got open work permit for the same period. I recently moved to another program which requires 1 more year of study. Now we are going to apply for our study and open work permit extensions. In the open work permit extension application form IMM5710E there is a question asking "what the applicant is applying for" and there are 4 check boxes. 1) A Work permit with the same employer 2) An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer 3) Restoration of your status as worker 4) Temporary Resident permit.

We are not sure about the check boxes which she needs to select. If we chose the first check box does it mean that she cannot work for another employer later? Could somebody please help me with this.

morsy86

May 9, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'll tell you what i did, although it doesn't necessarily means i'm right. by exclusion you have to mark on 1, nothing else fits. on page 3 you choose open work permit, and write N/A on the rest of employer data since it's an open work permit and you don't want to tie it to a specific employer even if she's alrdy working and you have this data
please note that i didn't get a response for the application yet

apardhamija

Oct 9, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC Req: 13-01-2016 Sent:10-02-2016 , SchedA Req & Sent : 11-02-2016
AOR Received.
20-10-2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with application.
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Med's Done....
15-12-2015
Passport Req..
06-04-2016
LANDED..........
30-04-2016
Hi,

I hold a Post Grad Open Work Permit which expires in Nov 2015. I have applied for extension last week, The processing time suggests 109 days. How can I stay in Canada in case my work permit expires before I get a new extended from CIC.
Also my wife has a Spousal Open Work Permit expiring same in Nov 2015. In case if my work permit does not get extension before Nov 2015 , how can I apply for her work permit extension as her work permit is dependent on me and I think can only apply once my work permit is extended before Nov 2015. Please suggest urgently what actions must we take to remain in Canada until the work permits are extended.

pretty_girl

Aug 18, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2015 rec. by CIO
Doc's Request.
PCC - 31-08-2015, Jan 21 2016, March 08 2016
Nomination.....
14-05-2015
AOR Received.
25-08-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted already 2015-06-17
Med's Request
Upfront - October 22nd
Med's Done....
10-22-2015
Passport Req..
14-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
Inland
apardhamija said:
Hi,

I hold a Post Grad Open Work Permit which expires in Nov 2015. I have applied for extension last week, The processing time suggests 109 days. How can I stay in Canada in case my work permit expires before I get a new extended from CIC.
Also my wife has a Spousal Open Work Permit expiring same in Nov 2015. In case if my work permit does not get extension before Nov 2015 , how can I apply for her work permit extension as her work permit is dependent on me and I think can only apply once my work permit is extended before Nov 2015. Please suggest urgently what actions must we take to remain in Canada until the work permits are extended.

Please click on the link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=188&t=17

You will be under implied status after your current work permit expires and can legally continue working under the same conditions of your current work permit.

Hopefully you will get your work permit by November, if you do not then you can apply for a visitor visa for your spouse or call CIC and ask if you can send her application before you get your work permit extended.

apardhamija

Oct 9, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-08-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC Req: 13-01-2016 Sent:10-02-2016 , SchedA Req & Sent : 11-02-2016
AOR Received.
20-10-2014
IELTS Request
Submitted with application.
Med's Request
11-12-2015
Med's Done....
15-12-2015
Passport Req..
06-04-2016
LANDED..........
30-04-2016
Thank you very much for all your suggestions and help.

Sachinspatel

Jul 5, 2017
Hi,

Sachinspatel

Jul 5, 2017
Hi,

Currently my wife is in Toronto on student visa,expires on 31-july-2018.i am planning to go on open work permit visa and I will get the visa for the same time.After completion of study she will apply for her work permit at the same time I have to apply or she has required any skill job for my visa extension ???

Please suggest me ...I need help

Sachin patel

Sachinspatel

Jul 5, 2017
Me and my wife came to Canada last September. I came for doing a 1 year Master's program and got a study permit which is valid till November 2015. My wife got open work permit for the same period. I recently moved to another program which requires 1 more year of study. Now we are going to apply for our study and open work permit extensions. In the open work permit extension application form IMM5710E there is a question asking "what the applicant is applying for" and there are 4 check boxes. 1) A Work permit with the same employer 2) An Initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer 3) Restoration of your status as worker 4) Temporary Resident permit.

We are not sure about the check boxes which she needs to select. If we chose the first check box does it mean that she cannot work for another employer later? Could somebody please help me with this.

ramesh32

Aug 2, 2018

I am on the same boat as you. What did you finally select and was it approved? Please help. Thanks.

ramesh32

Aug 2, 2018
I'll tell you what i did, although it doesn't necessarily means i'm right. by exclusion you have to mark on 1, nothing else fits. on page 3 you choose open work permit, and write N/A on the rest of employer data since it's an open work permit and you don't want to tie it to a specific employer even if she's alrdy working and you have this data
please note that i didn't get a response for the application yet
What was the response here? Some say that OWP is just once in a life time and we need to convert to LMIA.