+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit extension under public policy

Sam7740

Jan 28, 2021
  1. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
With this clause, on January 27 2021 I am in canada, and I am getting eligible on February 17 ie 4 months. However I am going to India for a month so from Feb 11 to March 11 I will not be in canada. My worry is that is this going to affect in my application as its mention since then...? Also, can I apply after I am coming back but there will be a gap of 1 months is it fine?
Since then means I need to stay in canada for the whole policy duration ie January to July??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
  1. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
With this clause, on January 27 2021 I am in canada, and I am getting eligible on February 17 ie 4 months. However I am going to India for a month so from Feb 11 to March 11 I will not be in canada. My worry is that is this going to affect in my application as its mention since then...? Also, can I apply after I am coming back but there will be a gap of 1 months is it fine?
Since then means I need to stay in canada for the whole policy duration ie January to July??
You are not eligible if you leave Canada.

You must be in Canada at the time you apply. So that means you have to be in Canada February 17. And then you must remain in Canada until the PGWP is approved.

No, you cannot apply when you get back. Again, you must remain in Canada continuously from January to qualify.

The 1 month gap is not fine. It will mean you do not meet the requirements of the policy. You have to chose between traveling to India for a month and extending your PGWP. You cannot do both.

Sam7740

Jan 28, 2021
I got you. But what if I came back and apply still I am not eligible as I am in canada at 27 January.
Once I came back I need to state that I have gone for 1 month or no? As there is no way we have to write what you say please help me if I can confirm this from other immigration source that would be helpful

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got you. But what if I came back and apply still I am not eligible as I am in canada at 27 January.
Once I came back I need to state that I have gone for 1 month or no? As there is no way we have to write what you say please help me if I can confirm this from other immigration source that would be helpful
The instructions on the IRCC web site are very clear. This is the only source of information. You must have be in Canada as of January 27th and have not left Canada since then.

If you leave, you don't qualify. If you leave and then apply when you get back, you still don't qualify.

You need to make a choice between the PGWP and traveling.

co2020

May 31, 2020
Not advising about the extension but if you intend to leave Canada make sure your coming back isn't categorized as optional travel. Because, you may have to apply for an authorization letter to return and all that. Find out if PGWP holders are eligible to enter Canada as non discretionary travelers first before you make any move.

bleachedaxe

Oct 6, 2010
The instructions on the IRCC web site are very clear. This is the only source of information. You must have be in Canada as of January 27th and have not left Canada since then.

If you leave, you don't qualify. If you leave and then apply when you get back, you still don't qualify.

You need to make a choice between the PGWP and traveling.
I called IRCC today and they said, a trip outside the country is okay as long as you normally live in Canada. They don't want people applying from outside country or people who went out and want to come back after this new public policy came into effect.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I called IRCC today and they said, a trip outside the country is okay as long as you normally live in Canada. They don't want people applying from outside country or people who went out and want to come back after this new public policy came into effect.
Hopefully they are right.

Unfortunately they are known for giving out wrong / bad answers. So no guarantee this is in fact true.

Good luck.

bleachedaxe

Oct 6, 2010
He got a second opinion from his colleague so i am sure the information coming out is correct and makes sense too.

Sam7740

Jan 28, 2021
Thanks but when I called ircc agent they told me if you go out you will be not eligible to apply for extension as you leave the country for 1 month in between after January 27.
Did you confirm with anyone else please let me know

bleachedaxe

Oct 6, 2010
The agent I talked to said you can’t apply when you are outside. You need to be back in Canada to apply for it, if you were here on January 27th in the first place. He put me on hold and got another opinion from someone else too who said the same thing.
I even confirmed with my lawyer today and she said the same thing.

Sam7740

Jan 28, 2021
The agent I talked to said you can’t apply when you are outside. You need to be back in Canada to apply for it, if you were here on January 27th in the first place. He put me on hold and got another opinion from someone else too who said the same thing.
I even confirmed with my lawyer today and she said the same thing.
I also called so many agent they told not to go and when I called agent she asked another colleague she told no.
I am confused please can you share your number to have a talk if u dont mind

bleachedaxe

Oct 6, 2010
I only told you what I was told by the agent I talked to and my lawyer. If you are not comfortable leaving, don’t leave and get your work permit before leaving the country. I consulted this law firm in Montreal who told me the same thing. You can consult them or any other lawyer if you are concerned.

https://www.azlawfirm.ca/

chpraveen52

Star Member
Jul 23, 2016
I have a question once we launch open work permit (Pgwp expired ) under pubic policy. Do we get any authorization from IRCC to start job immediately with any employer or do we need to wait until OWP application gets approved.? ..Any idea..??? .In case of LMIA work permit IRCC giving authorization to start with employer under public policy

Iammanythings

Feb 1, 2019
I currently have a closed work permit for my employer valid till April 2022. However my PGWP expired June 2020 which makes me eligible. Can I apply for the OWP under the new public policy Jan 27?

Kishan18

Star Member
Dec 2, 2020
Hello does anyone know the processing time for the work permit under the new plicy?

is it quicker than the other work permits?
Can i get one in under a month?