+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit Extension IMM5710E questions

sillything

Sep 30, 2018
My wife is still waiting for PR since submission in March 2018. She got her OWP in June 2018 and it is expiring in June 2020. Just have some questions and confusion about applying for extending her Open Work Permit.

Some questions I wanted to ask,

1) will there be a 90 day OHIP limbo period if we apply for WP extension? It says processing time 90days on the website, I figured if we apply now, the extension will be granted when her current OWP will be expiring. But would she be out of OHIP care from the start of the new OWP for 90 days? (not a good time to not have OHIP now)

2) I've read online and it seems to extend a work permit I must fill in IMM5710E. Do I pick " apply for a work permit with the same employer"? or "apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer"? She has a open work permit now and would need to extend it.

3) Is she still considered employed if she is on EI right now? We had our first child in September 2019 and she is currently on EI maternity leave.

4) Does she need a letter from her employer together with the IMM5710E submission?

This is quite confusing for me and any help would be appreciated. I tried calling Service Canada and asking but I was on hold forever...