+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit CERB eligibility?

chyhill04

Jul 4, 2016
Hello,

My friend moved to Canada from the US in late 2019 (I believe October). She has an Open Work Permit, a SIN number and recently found a job in February. Due to COVID-19, she lost her employment. The thing is, she only has been in Canada a handful of months, she JUST got a job and lost it as soon as she got it. So there's no way she made $5,000 within the time she has lived here. But when she lived in the US, she made $5,000.

Since she JUST moved, is there any type of aid she can receive from the Canadian government? Is she eligible for CERB if she made $5,000 via another country's income?

Does anyone know if she can receive any aid at all? She is in a desperate spot and really needs help.

Thank you in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

My friend moved to Canada from the US in late 2019 (I believe October). She has an Open Work Permit, a SIN number and recently found a job in February. Due to COVID-19, she lost her employment. The thing is, she only has been in Canada a handful of months, she JUST got a job and lost it as soon as she got it. So there's no way she made $5,000 within the time she has lived here. But when she lived in the US, she made $5,000.

Since she JUST moved, is there any type of aid she can receive from the Canadian government? Is she eligible for CERB if she made $5,000 via another country's income?

Does anyone know if she can receive any aid at all? She is in a desperate spot and really needs help.

Thank you in advance.
When did she lose her job? Februart was before covid really hit Canada. What did her ROE from her employer say?

chyhill04

Jul 4, 2016
When did she lose her job? Februart was before covid really hit Canada. What did her ROE from her employer say?
She lost her job mid to late March I believe.
I'm not sure what an ROE is, but I can double check what her employer said to her.