+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit - biometrics yes or no?

nve

Apr 18, 2022
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
28-06-2023
AOR Received.
15-08-2023
Hi,
I just received my AOR and I am trying to apply for the open work permit now.

One of the questions for that application is the following:
"In the past 10 years, have you given your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) for an application to come to Canada?"

I have not done any biometrics yet.
But if I say "no" I am required to pay the biometrics fee, even though I already paid for it for the spousal sponsorship application and will probably get a biometrics request for that soon.
So do I say "yes" even though I have not done biometrics yet? Or do I say "no" and pay again and maybe receive two biometric requests?

Has anyone had the same problem before? What did you do?
Thanks!

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi,
I just received my AOR and I am trying to apply for the open work permit now.

One of the questions for that application is the following:
"In the past 10 years, have you given your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) for an application to come to Canada?"

I have not done any biometrics yet.
But if I say "no" I am required to pay the biometrics fee, even though I already paid for it for the spousal sponsorship application and will probably get a biometrics request for that soon.
So do I say "yes" even though I have not done biometrics yet? Or do I say "no" and pay again and maybe receive two biometric requests?

Has anyone had the same problem before? What did you do?
Thanks!
You will have to say no since that is the situation you currently are in. You won't have to do bio twice, it will take a bit of time for your biometrics to get into the system, if you get a second request you can send a web form referencing the 1st request including your UCI and application number and you will get a refund for the 2nd biometrics you paid. Otherwise if you don't want to pay you can wait until you complete the bio before submitting the 2nd app. Your BVL letter should be coming soon since you have AOR. I can't tell you exactly how long.

nve

Apr 18, 2022
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
28-06-2023
AOR Received.
15-08-2023
You will have to say no since that is the situation you currently are in. You won't have to do bio twice, it will take a bit of time for your biometrics to get into the system, if you get a second request you can send a web form referencing the 1st request including your UCI and application number and you will get a refund for the 2nd biometrics you paid. Otherwise if you don't want to pay you can wait until you complete the bio before submitting the 2nd app. Your BVL letter should be coming soon since you have AOR. I can't tell you exactly how long.
Thank you!!

nve

Apr 18, 2022
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
28-06-2023
AOR Received.
15-08-2023
Hello again,

I received the BIL for the open work permit last week and completed the biometric collection in the meantime. Today I received the BIL for the permanent residency.
So i do not have to give biometrics again, right? They would just do the same thing again.
But how do let them know about the fact that I already gave biometrics in the meantime? I don't see where I can upload any document and I can not find any other place to contact them either. I tried calling, but it is not possible to speak to anybody at the moment...

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello again,

I received the BIL for the open work permit last week and completed the biometric collection in the meantime. Today I received the BIL for the permanent residency.
So i do not have to give biometrics again, right? They would just do the same thing again.
But how do let them know about the fact that I already gave biometrics in the meantime? I don't see where I can upload any document and I can not find any other place to contact them either. I tried calling, but it is not possible to speak to anybody at the moment...
EDITED: See the link in @ERCAN's post below, you are required to give biometrics for your PR application.

Last edited:

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Temporary measures for biometrics collection in Canada
If you apply for permanent residence on or after June 14, 2023
You need to give your biometrics, even if you gave them in the last 10 years. As of June 14, 2023, we’re resuming biometrics collection for all permanent residence applicants.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/campaigns/biometrics/temporary-measures/inside-canada.html

Since OP applied at the end of June I'm afraid they will not allow to reuse OWP biometrics and refund him. He can always try though...

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Temporary measures for biometrics collection in Canada
If you apply for permanent residence on or after June 14, 2023
You need to give your biometrics, even if you gave them in the last 10 years. As of June 14, 2023, we’re resuming biometrics collection for all permanent residence applicants.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/campaigns/biometrics/temporary-measures/inside-canada.html

Since OP applied at the end of June I'm afraid they will not allow to reuse OWP biometrics and refund him. He can always try though...
Thanks, didn't see that one.

nve

Apr 18, 2022
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
28-06-2023
AOR Received.
15-08-2023
Thank you!
I went back to the Service Canada office and they told me to check with the immigration office next door because they didn't think I'd have to do it again.
The immigrating office didn't know either, but when i showed them the link that was posted above they checked with someone else and indeed, I had to give biometrics again today even though I had just done it yesterday...