+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit Application ( Spousal Sponsorship)

JcY

Feb 25, 2013
Hi there! I submitted an extension of my work permit with the same employer last Jan. 14, 2013 since my current work permit was expired feb. 16, 2013 (paper application). And then Feb. 20 I mailed my permanent resident application, I just got married last dec. and my husband is sponsoring me. Together with my application for PR I included my open work permit application. I am a little worried coz they might refuse my application for an open work permit since my current work permit is now expired. Im still waiting for the approval of my work permit and hopefully they will be able to track it before they open my OWP and PR application. Hoping somebody can share there ideas about this.

Thanks in advance...

hyacynth

Jan 12, 2013
We have the same situation and when i called the CIC about this, the officer told me to apply either open work permit or just the work permit for my employer. I think if you applied for work permit with your same employer, they not gonna issue you an open work permit till the conditional work permit is valid. What i did is applied for "open work permit" and still continue working with my employer even my work permit is already expired. I submitted my permanent resident application 2 months before my work permit expires so it gives me "Implied Status".

JcY

Feb 25, 2013
hyacynth said:
We have the same situation and when i called the CIC about this, the officer told me to apply either open work permit or just the work permit for my employer. I think if you applied for work permit with your same employer, they not gonna issue you an open work permit till the conditional work permit is valid. What i did is applied for "open work permit" and still continue working with my employer even my work permit is already expired. I submitted my permanent resident application 2 months before my work permit expires so it gives me "Implied Status".
Hello Hyacynth,

Thank you for the response. I just did that because I don't want to take the risk of not having a legal status while waiting for OWP and PR application to be approved. I think its too risky not to have a legal status since you don't know yet if your sponsor will be approve or not or some problems might come along the way, so at least in that way I feel that I am more secured.

JcY

Feb 25, 2013
And also, my current work permit is getting expired and I know that I wont be able to submit my PR application before that coz I was still waiting for some documents that time. I read at the CIC website that you cannot apply for an open work permit if you do not have a legal status before the submission of your application. In your case, Yes you are right you are in "Implied Status" . Hoping that everything goes well in our application.