+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit and Permanent Job Offer

JohnyWalker

Mar 9, 2010
Hi,
I am currently in Canada on an open work permit which will be expiring in 2 months.
This open work permit is based on my wifes work permit which too expires on the same date.
My wife does not plan to extend her work permit with her current employer.

I have been able to find a job after coming here and I am working as a Software developer since Aug 09 (this position does not require LMO).
The offer letter that I received from my employer is for a permanent position and does not mention any end date for the employment.
Now I need to get a new work permit tied to my current employer.

My Questions are:

1. Is it OK for an employer to offer a permanent position to an open work permit holder.
2. Can I use my current offer letter to apply for the new work permit considering that its for a permanent position.
3. I plan to apply for the PR once I receive my new work permit,
which requires an offer for a permanent position from an employer subject to PR approval.
How does this play with current scenario

Any help from you will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
#1. Yes, but you can't work without authorization. As you know, you will need a new work permit. See the process on this page under Step 1, Determine if you Need an LMO. (it tells how to apply for a TWP without one). Might make things easier if your employer gets written confirmation from HRSDC that the position is LMO-exempt.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/RESOURCES/PUBLICATIONS/tfw-guide.asp

#2 - They can inquire at the same time about whether the offer should have an end date (for the purpose of obtaining the TWP).

#3 - the only impact on the later PR application is - since you are planning for FSW-2, your TWP will have to be valid at the time the visa is issued. So you want a TWP that will be at least 2 years long to be sure that it doesn't expire while you're going thru the PR application stage...

An alternative is to go the provincial nominee route - in some cases, with first-stage (provincial) approval, you can get a TWP to start working while the PR application is in process, but... depending what province you are in, that might take more time than you have...

JohnyWalker

Mar 9, 2010
Hi Jes,

Thanks for your reply. It did help. I called CIC in the meantime and they said as much. They said that you can apply for a new TWP on the basis of a Permanent Job Offer.

Best Regards