+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario PNP (PhD category) now in Quebec

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I came to Canada on a study permit, completed my graduate school in Ontario in 2014 (2 yrs Masters, 4.5 yrs PhD) and applied for Permanent Residence under Ontario PNP for International PhD graduates. As this category does not require the applicant to be physically present in the province at the time of applying, I moved to Quebec to work as a postdoc a few months back (this is the first time I moved to another province from Ontario,), which is a one year contract, not a permanent job. My present status is the (open) post graduate work permit.

I have now received an email for my medical tests from CIC and have booked an appointment.

My question is the following: Should I quit my job to go and live in Ontario now, before I do the landing, to convince the immigration authorities that I still intend to live and settle in Ontario? Could I be denied PR for working and living in Quebec, albeit temporarily?

At any rate, I do not speak any French and permanent job opportunities in my field are very limited in Quebec so it's still very likely that I will eventually settle in Ontario.

Will greatly appreciate any response from anybody with some information on this topic.

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not think this is a very obscure question. Let me generalize this as follows.

What if a person is working and living in a different province while his PNP PR application is approved through a different province (where he used to live earlier)? Must the person relocate to the province granting him PNP before he does the official "landing"?

Thank you!

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
Last year, when Ontario PNP was on hold, a lot of people (including me) got phone call/emails from Ontario PNP officers . they asked about your address and work locations. I don't know if these information could make impacts on the application or will they call any applicant this year.

OPNP was under scrutiny last year due to their lack of transparency process. They may or may not do another audit this year. Who knows? My point is "be prepared for it". Based on your situation, you have to judge what is more important.

Last time, I saw a post in this forum. The guy moved to Alberta for job and he was willing to give up his nomination. So it's up to the person's situation.

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see, Karen. Thank you for your reply. So, in that case, I suppose it is best wrt PR if I quit my job and remain in Ontario.

How long is it advisable to remain in the province of nomination, after PR has been granted?

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It will be great if some of the other experienced members of the group could also share their opinion to this topic. There are a lot of people with a wealth of knowledge in this forum and some more inputs would be really helpful. :)

Azsereth

Star Member
Jul 9, 2012
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
20-06-2011
Ulysses said:
How long is it advisable to remain in the province of nomination, after PR has been granted?
Moving to another province isn't grounds for having your permanent residency revoked (http://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publications/prstatus/what-are-reasons-taking-away-permanent-resident-status).

I was curious about whether moving to another province after landing could be considered misrepresentation and found this thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/question-on-pr-in-canada-relocation-after-pr-thru-sinp-t137077.0.html.

As for whether you should quit your job or not? I suspect you will want to choose which is most important to you. The main reasons I can think of to move are employment, education, and love. If I were the one assessing the application, I would probably think you had reason to leave the province unless there was something else that indicated otherwise.

With that said, have you investigated paths to permanent residency through Quebec?

Ulysses

Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Azsereth, thanks a lot for your response.

Immigrating through Quebec would not be straightforward for me, primarily because of my rather limited French skills. Besides, having already been rejected PR before (under CEC, thanks to CIC's revised evaluation of work experience which penalized graduate students like me) I don't have the energy to again prepare myself to apply through another category.

Under present circumstances, Ontario PNP is the only category I am eligible under. Moreover, with the medicals done, my PR through ONPNP seems to be going straightforward so far and it would be a matter of few months. The only issue is what I have been discussing in this thread.

I was wondering if it is necessary to quit my temporary contractual job in Quebec before I land, or if I can tell them that I am looking for a job in ON which I will start after my present contract is over? Will being employed by an university in Quebec temporarily, go against me?

Please advice! Thanks a lot!